Sublime Forum

Disable the automatic horizontal scrolling to the left...?

Hi all,

There are no text editors better than Sublime Text in my experiences – however, there is one very annoying trait that I cannot seem to disable.

I don’t like using word-wrap; however, if I have a line that extends past the width of the window, when I’m trying to highlight parts of that line with the mouse, I’ve noticed the window will automatically scroll all the way to the left if the mouse cursor goes anywhere above/below that line.

It’s very, very annoying, and makes it difficult to edit long lines; anybody know any ways to disable this automatic scrolling to the left when highlighting parts of a line that extend horizontally outside of the window?

Thanks a ton!

0 Likes

I’ve noticed this too in the past and it’s very annyoing when you want to select a section of text in a long line with short or empty lines around it.

I’m positive that you can not disable this behavior (currently), but I hope for automatically disabling this while dragging and making a selection, which should cover most use cases.

0 Likes

I’m looking for a solution to this problem in addition to forcing the scrollbar as far left as it’ll go when moving onto other lines… ie lets say char 100 is full-window width… you edit something at 120 and the window is so far right that you only see from 100 to 200 ( ie 120 ) and when you go down instead of scrolling to the left so the cursor still remains on screen so you can see char 1… you end up with a view from 80 to 180 despite 80 being the max on that line meaning the view should go to 1 - 100 step so you can actually read code without having to press the home button each time, or scroll all the way using the mouse each time before resetting your cursor back where you want it…

0 Likes

Hi, did you get any further insight on this?

0 Likes

I have been working on my Code Mapping System plugin… so I haven’t been looking greatly at this in terms of the original author keeping the view where the view was if switching to another line would move the view… but it should be possible…

Worst case, it’d be an ugly hack which tracks the camera / view port into the file… if the port changes dramatically while doing something on one line then switch back until the user either changes the view on that line or via the scrollbar… and there’s likely be flickering…

There could be a more elegant solution but most of the callbacks I see are unrelated so it may be best to submit this as a suggestion: https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues

It is honestly incredibly annoying so… I did set up a solution on my end to force the window to the far left in the output panel…

0 Likes