Sublime Forum

Disable Sierra Tabs

Is there a preference option to disable macOS Sierra’s tabs in Sublime Text 3?

I tend to have multiple projects open in different windows, but in Sierra they are opened as a macOS tab instead of a window. Therefore I have two rows of tabs (Sublime’s and macOS’s), which is quite annoying.

You can right click on the macOS tab and click “Move Tab to New Window”, but you have to do that every time.

There is a Firefox bug which may be useful for fixing this.

(Build 3126 on macOS 10.12)

0 Likes

Hmmm. I’m using the same setup as you do, but I haven’t noticed any differences since upgrading to Sierra. CmdN still opens a new tab, ShiftCmdN still opens a new window.

0 Likes

Just noticed this only happens when you have Sublime Text fullscreen. (I also have “Displays have separate Spaces” turned on for the “Mission Control” system preferences).

0 Likes

Confirmed. You should probably file an issue.

0 Likes

Done, thanks.

0 Likes

You can disable macOS Sierra’s tab feature from automatically assuming “new window” = “new tab” when you’re in full screen.

Go to System Preferences -> Dock and change Prefer tabs when opening documents: to Manually.

(Changing the Dock preferences has the added benefit of stopping this behaviour in other apps too. It was driving me insane in Screen Sharing.)

0 Likes

That’s great! Thank you.

0 Likes

It would be even better to allow switching between those sierra tabs with keyboard shortcuts (i.e. alt+tab, alt+shift+tab)
now it is not possible to switch them even after unbinding ctrl+tab and ctrl+shift+tab

someone could really use those tabs, but without shortcuts its real pain

3 Likes

yess, just randomly found this feature and i’ve been looking for it for a while!. would love to use command + 1 or 2 to get to those top level tabs.

0 Likes