Sublime Forum

Disable gnome titlebar

Hi,

Have just upgraded to latest Merge build (love the new location filter!)

Is there a way of disabling the extra thick gnome titlebar? I’ve tried the new themed_title_bar config option but all that does it change the colour.

I’m using i3 and the gnome titlebar overrides the window manager’s titlebar.

Side note, is there a reference for the settings JSON? I checked https://www.sublimemerge.com/docs/ but could not find one.

Thanks

0 Likes

You can add this setting to your Merge preferences:

"gtk_client_side_window_decorations": false,

Once you turn the setting off, you need to restart Merge for it to take effect.

1 Like

The custom titlebar should be disabled I’d you’re not using gnome. What DE are you using?

0 Likes

Thank you! Solved

0 Likes

i3 but using Regolith which makes i3 run well with gnome tools. That I want, just not the titlebars :wink:

0 Likes

What is $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP set to?

0 Likes

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP is GNOME

0 Likes

That would be why it’s enabled :slight_smile:, iirc there’s no other way to easily check for the window manager.

0 Likes

No trouble, I know my setup is weird :grin:

Is there a reference for these settings? I had a search but couldn’t find anything.

0 Likes

I think @OdatNurd pulled that setting from the Sublime Text 4 settings files since SM & ST 4 use the same base UI framework.

0 Likes

Indeed I did, but it doesn’t appear in the default settings. It’s one of a few hidden settings that are available for exceptional circumstances but which aren’t publicly documented in Sublime Text’s default Preferences.sublime-settings.

In this case it’s exceptional because Text and Merge should enable and disable this feature on their own, but as noted above it can be problematic to determine if Gnome is in use or not (also I’m in the opposite boat to you and want this enabled even though I’m not using anything Gnome related).

0 Likes

thx for posting this tip. IMO this should be disabled by default, even if you actually use GNOME. My reasoning is that this self drawn titlebar is not a real gtk bar and does not carry any functionality. So we’re getting a thick bar that wastes a lot of space.
Personally I also use an extensions that removes titlebars on maximized non-gtk windows, which saves space - and naturally if you have this setting enabled it does nothing.

0 Likes

My reasoning is that this self drawn titlebar is not a real gtk bar and does not carry any functionality.

It’s a GtkHeaderBar, the same thing used by other gnome applications for custom title bars. Nautilus, Gnome Terminal, Gnome Calculator, etc. all use this just like Sublime Text. If you’re not using any extensions then it matches exactly the title bar used by Gnome when no client-side decorations are used (Gnome probably even uses the exact same GTK component internally).

0 Likes

what I mean is that gtk “titlebars” carry extra functionality - usually you get menu buttons, options etc represented in some way. They are not simply carriers for app title and window control buttons. Thus with a “proper” gtk titlebar making it thicker makes sense.
If you use it as a regular titlebar you get a thick bar that wastes lot of space with no benefit at all. On top of that it is trickier to remove it on maximize as it is self drawn, not a system controlled one.

1 Like