Sublime Forum

Dev Builds

One of the changes for this weeks build will be to start using Sparkle for automatic updates on OS X, and a revised update notification system for the other platforms. I’d like to do some testing of this system before distributing it to a wider audience, so if you’re keen and don’t mind being bothered by update prompts over the next few days, head over to the Dev Builds page and grab the current version.

There are several other changes in this build, but I’ll save the in-depth explanation until the real release at the end of the week. It’s worth noting though that I’ve moved to a new version numbering scheme with this build, which I intend to keep through the rest of the alpha.

0 Likes

Awesome! I love dev builds.
Thanks!

0 Likes

I said I wasn’t going to go into details about any of the features yet, but I do quite like this one.

When text is obscured by the minimap, an indication is now shown, with the minimap casting a shadow onto the text:

Similarly, if the text is clipped to the left, a shadow is now drawn there too:

It’s subtle in the screenshots, but, IMO, quite clear in use.

0 Likes

It’s definitely a sexy little detail - I’d even go so far as to request that the shadow be always on for the minimap.

Awesome stuff, as usual.

0 Likes

Off topic: Sorry about the earlier “Link Tip” under Technical Support. Thinking now that was under wrong banner (General Discussion maybe?)

Worked the sh** out of the latest dev build tonight (2017) hacking a bunch of shell scripts.
Linux X64
Rock Solid. No issues noted.

Nice work Jon.

0 Likes

These shadows are the sex.

0 Likes

So the only difference between a dev build and a release is more frequent updates? Sign me up!

0 Likes

:mrgreen:

I’m looking forward to a Windows version of Sparkle!

0 Likes

WinSparkle is unlikely to make an appearance:

• No 64 bit version, at least not that I could find.

• Doesn’t actually update, just downloads and runs the installer. This appears to make it unsuitable for updating the portable version.

• Large (~1mb), due to embedding a statically linked version of wxWidgets.

At this stage, it’s looking like auto update on windows will have to be rolled by hand. I don’t know when this would happen, but it’s unlikely to be soon.

0 Likes

I’ll happily test the OSX build, need to force myself to switch full time first though :smiley:

0 Likes

I’m using the Blackboard theme and the shadows are barely visible. Actually they aren’t even shadows, as they seem to lighten the background rather than darkening it. Any chance the feature could be customized to make it a little more obvious? A wider and deeper gradient would really help :smile:

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

A customisable gradient would be ideal.

0 Likes

My beloved ST2 tell me that a new version is available this morning and when I clicked Yes it opened my browser on the Dev Builds page.
So on Windows 7 64, the notification was OK.

0 Likes

[quote=“bizoo”]

page and grab the current version.
My beloved ST2 tell me that a new version is available this morning and when I clicked Yes it opened my browser on the Dev Builds page.
So on Windows 7 64, the notification was OK.[/quote]

I got it too!

0 Likes

Cool, thanks for the updates

0 Likes

Another Windows 7 64, notification came in this morning. Thanks.

0 Likes

Got a OSX update today, installed and launched fine :smile:

0 Likes

Just installed on linux64, will let you know if I get notification.

0 Likes

There’s a new dev build out now, with command line helper for OS X, and syntax detection via running a regex on the first line of a file. The shadow is also configurable now, via shadowWidth and shadow (color) in the .tmTheme files.

This build will turn into the next alpha version, barring any problems.

0 Likes