Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3190

The mini_diff functionality is not actually part of any package, but a core part of the editor. The default setting to control it is in the Default package because that is where all default settings go.

2 Likes

I know thats the “design decision here”. I just don’t like it but well :slight_smile: Is fine. We have a package named “Diff” and the setting mini diff is outside that package :stuck_out_tongue: I know, I understand, you doing pretty good stuff, keep it up. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

If we put the setting into the Diff package there would be two issues:

• If the user disabled the Diff package, mini_diff would be in the default state (on)
  • If we put the setting in the Diff package, users would not see it is a setting when they viewed the Preferences

So I don’t see any upside to the idea of putting the setting into the Diff package. I think it would just lead to confusion.

3 Likes

I understand people is used to the “default” package.

If the user disabled the Diff package, mini_diff would be in the default state (on)

The default setting should be off, and the Diff package should have the setting to default on. So when you disable diff package the expect thing happens: any command on the diff package is disable regardless of the preference. Thats consistent with how other packages works. I think you just confirming the inconsistency Im saying.

If we put the setting in the Diff package, users would not see it is a setting when they viewed the Preferences

That’s because the Preferences settings has a lot of random stuff together. It shouldn’t exists at all. Im not saying in a bad way.

I believe core sublime text settings should be organized, more modular. Imagine this situation, someone new wants to disable mini diff. So then you reply to them “edit the settings of the Diff package”, it makes more sense.

If they ask how to disable mini diff and then you tell them to edit core settings and then they ask to disable Diff package and you tell them to disable the Diff package, is not going to be consistent.

btw Im just saying not criticising.

I totally understand the point that you want to have a way to say “this is ST core settings”, well the core settings are too random, unorganized, and sometimes overlap with also some default packages. While the learning curve maybe gets a bit more pronounced, I think is nice to organize it because everything will become more intuitive. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Hi Jon, just wondering if next build could come sooner. The hidden block cursor hurts my eyes quite badly. Block cursor is not new to users who use any of the vim packages.

0 Likes

If the bug is disruptive to you, you can always use the previous build.

0 Likes

:joy: that’s true. just wanted to be on top of all the other new futures.

0 Likes

We have a package named “Diff” and the setting mini diff

I never really used the “Diff” package, while I find the new “mini diff” a useful thing. I don’t see any relation between those two functions.

The default setting should be off,

No

It shouldn’t exists at all.

No, as it is the template for user settings and the place to lookup defaults and descriptions!

should be organized, more modular.

With each package providing its own settings file(s), there are enough places to configure ST, already. Furthermore the Preference.sublime-settings is only one of the highly modular configuration file eco system. Think of syntax specific settings, widget specific settings, project specific settings, … which all use the same structure for different parts of ST. I don’t see how further scattering the main user preferences would help to make ST more “intuitive”.

0 Likes

FWIW I find mini diff extremely useful. Especially for files that are not git tracked. Too often I open some random scripts and make changes (trial and error to test something new, for example), get distracted by life and forget about what’s been changed so far. Mini diff is a life changer in those cases. I think I should for sure be on by default.

0 Likes

What happened here? I don’t recall this being this way in previous build:

1 Like

It’s already in the issue tracker. The quick_panel was updated to support clear type and fix some font issues. The matched font’s just don’t pick up the theme settings correctly.

0 Likes

To expand upon what @deathaxe said, here is the tracking issue: https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/2635.

0 Likes

Ah, ok - thanks :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Yes, minidiff is amazing! Especially because it works everywhere, all the time. I love being able to see what I’ve touched in a file and even to jump between those sections. It’s like automatic bookmarks.

0 Likes