Sublime Forum

Dev build 3186

I created an account just to comment about the new mini_diff feature, but I noticed there is no topic for the current build, so I created it.

Anyway, I think this feature is useful, but I already used the git gutter plugin and it offers a nicer experience, so I had to disable mini_diff. To be more specific, it lacks those basic features:

• Visual difference between Added, Edited and Deleted lines.
  • Mouseover to see previous version

Take a look at this screenshot from git gutter:

This is how the native mini_diff handles the same lines:

[new users can post only one image, so I’ll left this one for your immagination]

Also, as I mentioned, git gutter offers this handy mouseover menu (you can’t see the cursor in the screenshot, but I was hovering the deleted line):

[yeah, only one image, remember? ]

As you can see, it shows the previous version and offers me some actions to navigate between changed lines or revert them.

Well, I think that’s it. I’d love to see those things in the native build, so I would have one less plugin to load! =)

4 Likes

This was the first missing image from previous post:

1 Like

This was the second one:

1 Like

I gotta say I agree with @rafaelbeckel, it does not offer enough visual clarity. It is a great feature to have built in Sublime Text, that’s for sure but it needs a bit more polishing to really be usable in my opinion.

Besides that I would request the possibility to disable the minidiff based on whether a file is in a git repo or not. I really do not like the gutter when not in a git repo but LOVE it when I am editing a file that’s tracked in git.

4 Likes

I appreciate this new function, because it is much faster then GitGutter can ever be, it can coexist with more important gutter icons (SublimeLinter, …) and works for normal files not part of a repository as well.

I’ve filed the following issue with some suggestions/ideas about styling, functions, API.

8 Likes

For a first step, this is really cool. As mentioned by others, it really just needs to take a couple more steps, and it could be really awesome. As a git user, I very much appreciate the direction Sublime has taken with git support.

5 Likes

So much this!

0 Likes

Anyone else notice that some files (tracked by git) which have no changes show all lines modified?

(I promise there are no changes to this file)

0 Likes

Yes. Also when editing Preferences (cmd+,) the left pane has it all the way down.

2 Likes

Thanks for verifying!

0 Likes

Echoing all of this. It’s wonderful, truly wonderful that Sublime is including this functionality natively. And I could even live with the non-specificity of additions/deletions/modifications (though I really want the specificity), but the fact that it’s happening on completely untracked files outside of git repos (such as the sublime preferences file) is really annoying and distracting.

But definitely a huge step in the right direction. Keep going!

3 Likes

Looks like this build has got a regression bug. The badges for staged and added files are not showing up

0 Likes

While the upsides are great, the downside of ST’s gutter implementation is that it’s not colorblind friendly. Even as a non-colorblind person, I have some trouble distinguishing yellow and green lines in my peripheral vision.

0 Likes

The colors used are configurable in your color scheme, so you can mitigate this to some degree if there are colors that contrast better. The keys aren’t documented yet, but see here:

2 Likes