Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3165

3165 is out now at https://www.sublimetext.com/3dev, with some more polish

10 Likes

Though it isn’t mentioned, it seems like the bug where using ctrl+d silently enables whole word in search is fixed.

It would be nice to have ctrl+d not copy the selected text to the find input panel though. This really messes up work flow. I guess I should create an issue to track this though.

1 Like

Issue created here:

0 Likes

It’s not new, is it? I’ve been relying on this “feature” since my very early days of using ST2… (I think)

0 Likes

@prmaple, you are correct! I never realized this behavior existed. I guess I was specifically doing work recently which made me realize how unintuitive this feature is as a selection command (at least to me).

I thought I was going mad recently as I was doing some work where I was searching for specific instances of text, and then performing a number of actions on them, one which was selecting the whole words on the line. And then it kept messing up my search.

I guess I’ve never performed these sequences right after each other. I started to dig into to it and found that under selection, we have “expand selection to word”, but then under find we have “quick add next”…but they are the same command.

I have no problem with the behavior of the command itself in the context of finding, but when I am executing a select command form the select menu, I don’t expect it to also find. I expect it to only expand the selection. I guess I disagree with how misleading “expand selection to word is” and find it very unintuitive.

I guess this answers my question though. It appears to be a feature by design. I may just have to work around it locally for myself. I like how it works when I want to do a find, but hate how it works when I just want to select.

0 Likes

In the 3165 completion hints (tooltips) look like contracted (e.g. “list_contents” is shown as “list_conten…”).

Is this be design? How to disable such a behavior?

I could not find nothing related in Settings.

https://c2n.me/3TOplT7.png

0 Likes

this is a known regression, so there’s no way to customize it - just wait for a fix in the next build

0 Likes

Thanks, I’ll revert to the previous version then.

0 Likes

I like how it works when I want to do a find, but hate how it works when I just want to select.

Then why not simply use CTRL+D for the find stuff as before and

{ "keys": ["ctrl+e"], "command": "expand_selection", "args": { "to": "word" }}

when you just want to expand your selection without changing the find string?

0 Likes

If you read the issue I explain that it can be worked around by mapping an expand command how you like it.

The discussion isn’t about whether it is possible to work around, but how we have have an extremely misleading expectation of an expand command and a find command that are both mapped to the same thing. If I am using Selection->Expand to Selection to Word, I expect it to expand the selection, not modify my current search. Check out the link to the issue to get a full description of the issue.

1 Like