Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3067

FEATURE

• Make sublime work better with SFTP clients.

DESCRIPTION

When opening files from Mac (Transmit, Cyberduck etc…) the file has a random path. The path shown is the directory where the SFTP client has placed the file.

Smultron, BBEdit and other text editors are still able to show the remote path to these files. I think the SFTP apps are passing along some meta data that sublime isn’t paying attention to.

I’m not sure but this might be the library that allows receiving the remote file path.

barebones.com/support/develop/odbsuite.html

0 Likes

• Mac add option for notification center to preferences
0 Likes

Awesome, I’m looking forward to what 2015 means for ST3!

Some hopefully simpler enhancements and fixes, in order of my interest:

• Fixing the quick panel so it doesn’t close on Windows when ST loses focus

• Yes/No/Cancel dialog for a refactoring package I’ve had half finished for a while. Customizable button text would be awesome.

• Hooks into the file notification system used by the sidebar, possibly as part of EventListener

• Input panels with multiple fields

• select module fixed on ST2 Windows

• updated SSL module for ST2 Windows to support SHA-2 certificates

Some larger changes that could expand what package developers could do, in order of my interest:

• Patched SSL support for Linux

• Tooltip api

• Sidebar api

I know a good number of people have inquired about bundling Package Control with Sublime Text. I’d be open to discussing that if it interests you, but also appreciate the flexibility that is afforded to each of us by keeping them separate. It seems things like Package Control updates and the fact that support for PC would go through different channels than ST itself may muddy the issue.

The idea of open sourcing the default packages sounds interesting, however I imagine it would add a bit of administrative overhead on the part of Sublime HQ. Anyway, it might be worth the community spending some time articulating the pros and cons, both from the perspective of the community and Sublime HQ.

Enabling forum notifications via sendgrid.com would be a nice touch. However, It might throw off my compulsive habit of checking the forum for updates. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the great editor Jon. If possible, can we have:

a Key Binding for opening the diff sidebar

this is the one that appears when you select “Show Unsaved Changes…” from the context menu of a changed file (when you right click on a changed file it’s an option that appears).

0 Likes

I see this following this pattern:

1. Create an official github org
  2. Select couple of trustworthy community members
  3. Any changes are made by PRs
  4. Any PR should receive ST blessing

(2nd step can be skipped, but Jon will need to analyze any PR).

Advantages are clear on all sides:

• ST HQ will have a bit of help from the community;
  • Users will be able to quickly fix packages (just try to comment a script src tag in your html files! and this behavior is present since forever; another example? try to autocomplete a html class name; php class names are shown in plain white with no syntax highlight and so on)

The only disadvantages i can see right now is the initial overhead that will be present on ST side and that there will be a lot of users that will push their snippets using their coding style (indentation, bracket styles etc) but with some good rules from the start (e.g. you can only send PRs for syntax definitions) i guess we could make this working :smile:

0 Likes

I would really love it if the undocumented sheets API and view API were somehow linked; maybe have a reference in a sheet object that points to the view object and vice versa. I guess unifying the objects would also work. This is a frustrating problem when developing plugins and trying to get the right index in the tab bar as sheets don’t show up in views, but you want to avoid indexing a image preview: Make image views act like other views (just the basics).

Thanks for the heads up, and I look forward to seeing what Sublime will offer in 2015 :smile:.

0 Likes

Is there any chance this build may have introduced a glitch with auto match? I’m used to typing the matched character—the second quotation mark or bracket—and seeing the cursor advance without an additional third character being inserted, but this morning I’ve noticed that Sublime occasionally doesn’t type over the match and I wind up with something like angular.module('foo''). I’m having a hard time seeing a pattern or anything, but I definitely didn’t notice it before.

ETA: Welcome back and happy new year, JPS! I’m excited to see what’s coming down the pike.

0 Likes

Hooray! The best editor is alive!!!

• circle through autocomplete list (when I am at the last item and press down, ST closes the autocomplete window)
  • open source the default packages and languages (and port good pull requests to the release version, iamntz has posted more details)
  • Improved gutter support so that, as an example, you can use Git Status and Gutter Color plugins at the same time
  • Tooltip API. Big for me as well but probably time consuming.
  • Sidebar API
0 Likes

I am aware that my post count isn’t anywhere near as high as it should be to make such a feature request, but maybe someone else will agree that it sounds like an interesting idea and back me up. The current Sublime Text API is very powerful, and plugins like Anaconda turn Sublime Text into a nearly feature-complete IDE for Python. I am aware that with the Ctrl+R hotkey the editor already has something like a symbol explorer, but imagine what plugins could do if it was somehow possible to implement your own sidebar-like widget via the plugin API. A fully-featured, visual symbol explorer (aka source browser) such as those found in the Wingware or PyCharm IDEs could be implemented, and depending on the degree of customizability many other interesting features, such a visual snippet explorer (with a working context-menu per entry etc.) or even displaying and controlling a debugger could be possible.

Again I am aware that these would be huge changes relative to the other suggestions, but I wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t at least mention it. I’m glad to see you still working on this jps :smile:!

0 Likes

hi Jps

2 things:

1. write two lines at sublimetext.com/blog/
  2. create an official GitHub repo for possibile public opensource subprojects / modules

thanks

0 Likes

One more (hopefully easy) thing:

• fix spelling dictionary on Mac OS: “Ignore XXX” only works until I restart ST
0 Likes

Second, “Jump to definition” functionality (via shortcut and CMD-click on symbol) for major languages.

Should not be too hard to at least add something like that for the current project based on the existing “Go to Anything” feature.

0 Likes

Wow, thanks for (hopefully) fixing the flakey subl command on OS X. That bug has aggravated me for the longest time.

I use my vote for this:

0 Likes

history_list.py - which implements the Jump Forward / Back functionality has a bug.

To reproduce:

1. Set your text cursor at a particular position.
  2. Go to another position.
  3. Jump back. Observe: You will be at position in step 1.
  4. OS X only: Click on the position your text cursor is at - this generates a selection event.
  5. Jump forward. Emits “Already at newest position.” and does not go to position in step 2.

On Linux and Windows step 4 is not required because jumping back seems to emit an extraneous selection event - I’m not sure if this is desirable vs the behavior on OS X.

A co-worker of mine was able to patch history_list.py to fix this bug - the fix is trivial - I’m sure you’ll figure it out in no time :smile:

0 Likes

0 Likes

After upgrading to 3067 I get very high CPU usage all the time :frowning:

Tried restarting sublime 3 times… I’m on Mavericks 10.9.5

cl.ly/image/3Q3I2C1q0s1i

Anyone else seeing this? What could I do?

0 Likes

Well, I’ll throw this out there – we’ll see what happens.

I’m part of a team maintaining a very old, large (several million lines) C code base. The standard indent is 2 spaces, but many of the files have a mix of tabs and spaces in the indentation, where a tab is assumed to be 8 spaces. This means that there are a very large number of files don’t display correctly in ST3 if I set the indent to 2 spaces. If I set it to 8 spaces, then the files display correctly, but indenting doesn’t work right and has to be done manually.

The development team has already had a number of discussions about reformatting the files. The long and short of it is, it’s not going to happen. So, it would be really nice if the displayed tab width and indent size were handled separately. As it is, it’s very difficult to use ST3 when editing this code base. Most of the time, I have to use something else (Emacs, vi, even Eclipse has separate settings).

If this is already available, I certainly haven’t seen how to control it. All I can find is a setting for tab_size.

0 Likes

Something seems to have changed about the way scopes are determined.

Right after installing 3067 I started getting hangs in YAML files which turned out to be BracketHighlighter choking. (BracketHighlighter is a Package Control “Top 25” package with nearly a half-million installations.) This was reproducible on a clean install.

The package author was able to create a similar hang in JSON files. Might be something to do with scopes at the end of files?

There’s a ticket going with more details over here: github.com/facelessuser/Bracket … issues/220

0 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! A few specific responses are below:

@jbrooksuk: “Show the project name (like the sidebar) in the window, not just the root folder.” Can you expand on this? If you have a .sublime-project file open, its name is already displayed in the window title.

@wladzynski, @ahojnnesp: Goto Definition already exists for C family languages, I use it frequently. You can find the key binding in the ‘Goto’ menu.

@martian: The “always_prompt_for_file_reload” setting will do what you’re after.

@evulfson: You can bind the “diff_changes” command to a key for this. For reference, all context menu items can be bound to keys, you can find out the relevant command names by entering “sublime.log_commands(True)” in the Console.

@phyllisstein. There were changes to the quote auto pairing logic in the previous build, 3066. If you can come up with a reproducible test case, I’ll take a look at it.

@gregor.hoch: The auto complete window doesn’t cycle from bottom to top by design. It’s important not to do so when the AC window pops up automatically: it’s not uncommon that the window is still showing (often with only a single entry) when the user wants to navigate to the next or previous lines, and this behavior leads to less frustration. I can see the justification for this if the AC window was explicitly requested, but not if it was shown automatically.

@davidhq: it looks like Sublime Text is indexing files, if so there will be a subtle percent complete indicator in the status bar. You can see more information by entering “sublime.log_indexing(True)” in the Console.

@joemaller: there has indeed been a change to selector matching at EOF: previously it would return the default scope, whereas now it returns whatever scope is used by the last character. This improves auto complete behavior when typing at EOF, and is more in line with general expectations, e.g., consider a Python file consisting of nothing but the 3 characters ‘#foo’: the scope returned when querying at EOF now indicates that EOF is in a comment, whereas before it would just indicate ‘source.python’.

A couple of more general items:

Forum Software: I agree that there are, err, limitations, with the current forum. I just can’t justify putting any time into it right now (Sublime Text itself has to come first), perhaps later this year though.

Tooltip API. A few people have mentioned this, I’d appreciate it if you expanded on it a bit: how you see it being used, and what capabilities you’d expect.

0 Likes

Tooltip API: Obviously, the general idea would be to show some information about a function such as the arguments, short description etc. I think a lot of implementation get in the way. Personally, I would prefer a tooltip that doesn’t pop up automatically but instead is triggered by the user (of course, that can be driven by options). I like the three finger pop-up on Mac OX for word definitions (see attached screenshot). I did something similar once by misusing the ST autocomplete window (screenshot attached). Very cumbersome, of course. No formatting, no automatic line breaks, a mess to trigger etc etc. The window opens when I double click on a function or object name while holding the option key and shows some basic documentation. Clicking F1 was supposed to open a webpage with the full documentation but I never got to that point. Proving a more convenient API method that opens a tooltip similar to the OS X dictionary popup at a given location would be great. Maybe the curser/selection position by default with the option to specify the location. Some formatting options, automatic wrapping etc would be pretty important (at least bold and italic). But I am sure others have better ideas about a good implementation.

0 Likes