Sublime Forum

Dev Build 3067

I personally find that I will often open the same file twice, in two monitors, in order to use one as a reference and the other as an actual editor. I’m a habitual saver, and if I occasionally switch focus over to the ‘reference’ window, the file will reload. Sometimes this is fine, but there are times when I wish it would not. It would be interesting if there was a system wide setting to disable automatic file reloads, and provide an command in a menu/hotkey to manually reload.

Speaking of reloading, it would be helpful to be able to right click a folder in the project tree and manually reload just that folder. If you’re connected to a large directory structure remotely over a slow connection, a full reload may be costly.

Finally, kind of a biggie…
How feasible would it be to facilitate a way for plugins to render a limited GUI? Basically, I would be interested in developing and having a Python package/module/class tree browser. Perhaps something that presents itself in a tab along with the directory structure.

0 Likes

I would like to see more internal things exposed in the API, especially around the index: some callback when index is updated, the list of files of the project, …, basically everything that can help building plugin that uses the symbols.
Also add the ability to create custom input panel (like the find panel): this is a question that comes pretty often in the plugin forum, and the current way to handle is not very user friendly (chaining n input panel :frowning: )
And some API to display tips (for function protoype for example)

0 Likes

Someone please, oh please update the blog.

Sublime has been getting some really bad feedback lately due to lack of communication. Here on the forum, on Twitter, and the other interwebs etc.

A regularly updated blog post would really help alleviate these fears.

Jim

0 Likes

I’d like to add my support for 2 of the suggestion of a previous commenter:

“”"- Improved gutter support so that, as an example, you can use Git Status and Gutter Color plugins at the same time.

• API for graphical views. There is only so much one can do with the quick panel and views."""

In general, a few improvements to the gutter capabilities (and/or sidebar), and an improve graphical panel API would make SublimeText easily upgradable to full IDE capabilities, while remaining amazingly lean and fast.

0 Likes

Yep, a good one.

Having more than one icon per line in the gutter is a necessity.
If the gutter can expand to accommodate somewhat like 3 icons (maybe they can overlap a little to limit the size), it will be great. Take my vote on this.

0 Likes

Speaking of gutter: would be very, very, very nice to have some click events there with context. So you could, for example, right click->add bookmark or right click -> add breakpoint (on debug plugins)

(also context for mouse maps would be nice)

0 Likes

FEATURE

• Make sublime work better with SFTP clients.

DESCRIPTION

When opening files from Mac (Transmit, Cyberduck etc…) the file has a random path. The path shown is the directory where the SFTP client has placed the file.

Smultron, BBEdit and other text editors are still able to show the remote path to these files. I think the SFTP apps are passing along some meta data that sublime isn’t paying attention to.

I’m not sure but this might be the library that allows receiving the remote file path.

barebones.com/support/develop/odbsuite.html

0 Likes

• Mac add option for notification center to preferences
0 Likes

Awesome, I’m looking forward to what 2015 means for ST3!

Some hopefully simpler enhancements and fixes, in order of my interest:

• Fixing the quick panel so it doesn’t close on Windows when ST loses focus

• Yes/No/Cancel dialog for a refactoring package I’ve had half finished for a while. Customizable button text would be awesome.

• Hooks into the file notification system used by the sidebar, possibly as part of EventListener

• Input panels with multiple fields

• select module fixed on ST2 Windows

• updated SSL module for ST2 Windows to support SHA-2 certificates

Some larger changes that could expand what package developers could do, in order of my interest:

• Patched SSL support for Linux

• Tooltip api

• Sidebar api

I know a good number of people have inquired about bundling Package Control with Sublime Text. I’d be open to discussing that if it interests you, but also appreciate the flexibility that is afforded to each of us by keeping them separate. It seems things like Package Control updates and the fact that support for PC would go through different channels than ST itself may muddy the issue.

The idea of open sourcing the default packages sounds interesting, however I imagine it would add a bit of administrative overhead on the part of Sublime HQ. Anyway, it might be worth the community spending some time articulating the pros and cons, both from the perspective of the community and Sublime HQ.

Enabling forum notifications via sendgrid.com would be a nice touch. However, It might throw off my compulsive habit of checking the forum for updates. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the great editor Jon. If possible, can we have:

a Key Binding for opening the diff sidebar

this is the one that appears when you select “Show Unsaved Changes…” from the context menu of a changed file (when you right click on a changed file it’s an option that appears).

0 Likes

I see this following this pattern:

1. Create an official github org
  2. Select couple of trustworthy community members
  3. Any changes are made by PRs
  4. Any PR should receive ST blessing

(2nd step can be skipped, but Jon will need to analyze any PR).

Advantages are clear on all sides:

• ST HQ will have a bit of help from the community;
  • Users will be able to quickly fix packages (just try to comment a script src tag in your html files! and this behavior is present since forever; another example? try to autocomplete a html class name; php class names are shown in plain white with no syntax highlight and so on)

The only disadvantages i can see right now is the initial overhead that will be present on ST side and that there will be a lot of users that will push their snippets using their coding style (indentation, bracket styles etc) but with some good rules from the start (e.g. you can only send PRs for syntax definitions) i guess we could make this working :smile:

0 Likes

I would really love it if the undocumented sheets API and view API were somehow linked; maybe have a reference in a sheet object that points to the view object and vice versa. I guess unifying the objects would also work. This is a frustrating problem when developing plugins and trying to get the right index in the tab bar as sheets don’t show up in views, but you want to avoid indexing a image preview: Make image views act like other views (just the basics).

Thanks for the heads up, and I look forward to seeing what Sublime will offer in 2015 :smile:.

0 Likes

Is there any chance this build may have introduced a glitch with auto match? I’m used to typing the matched character—the second quotation mark or bracket—and seeing the cursor advance without an additional third character being inserted, but this morning I’ve noticed that Sublime occasionally doesn’t type over the match and I wind up with something like angular.module('foo''). I’m having a hard time seeing a pattern or anything, but I definitely didn’t notice it before.

ETA: Welcome back and happy new year, JPS! I’m excited to see what’s coming down the pike.

0 Likes

Hooray! The best editor is alive!!!

• circle through autocomplete list (when I am at the last item and press down, ST closes the autocomplete window)
  • open source the default packages and languages (and port good pull requests to the release version, iamntz has posted more details)
  • Improved gutter support so that, as an example, you can use Git Status and Gutter Color plugins at the same time
  • Tooltip API. Big for me as well but probably time consuming.
  • Sidebar API
0 Likes

I am aware that my post count isn’t anywhere near as high as it should be to make such a feature request, but maybe someone else will agree that it sounds like an interesting idea and back me up. The current Sublime Text API is very powerful, and plugins like Anaconda turn Sublime Text into a nearly feature-complete IDE for Python. I am aware that with the Ctrl+R hotkey the editor already has something like a symbol explorer, but imagine what plugins could do if it was somehow possible to implement your own sidebar-like widget via the plugin API. A fully-featured, visual symbol explorer (aka source browser) such as those found in the Wingware or PyCharm IDEs could be implemented, and depending on the degree of customizability many other interesting features, such a visual snippet explorer (with a working context-menu per entry etc.) or even displaying and controlling a debugger could be possible.

Again I am aware that these would be huge changes relative to the other suggestions, but I wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t at least mention it. I’m glad to see you still working on this jps :smile:!

0 Likes

hi Jps

2 things:

1. write two lines at sublimetext.com/blog/
  2. create an official GitHub repo for possibile public opensource subprojects / modules

thanks

0 Likes

One more (hopefully easy) thing:

• fix spelling dictionary on Mac OS: “Ignore XXX” only works until I restart ST
0 Likes

Second, “Jump to definition” functionality (via shortcut and CMD-click on symbol) for major languages.

Should not be too hard to at least add something like that for the current project based on the existing “Go to Anything” feature.

0 Likes

Wow, thanks for (hopefully) fixing the flakey subl command on OS X. That bug has aggravated me for the longest time.

I use my vote for this:

0 Likes

history_list.py - which implements the Jump Forward / Back functionality has a bug.

To reproduce:

1. Set your text cursor at a particular position.
  2. Go to another position.
  3. Jump back. Observe: You will be at position in step 1.
  4. OS X only: Click on the position your text cursor is at - this generates a selection event.
  5. Jump forward. Emits “Already at newest position.” and does not go to position in step 2.

On Linux and Windows step 4 is not required because jumping back seems to emit an extraneous selection event - I’m not sure if this is desirable vs the behavior on OS X.

A co-worker of mine was able to patch history_list.py to fix this bug - the fix is trivial - I’m sure you’ll figure it out in no time :smile:

0 Likes