Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2120

Will you be turning the hot_exit global setting off?

• No, I’ll leave it enabled as per the defaults
  • Yes, I prefer not to preserve the session

0 voters

Dev Build 2120 is out now, with some important changes.

Firstly, hot exit is now the default. This means that the normal quit key binding (OS X) or closing the last window (Windows and Linux) won’t prompt to save changes, instead the application will just exit immediately and restore the changes the next time it’s started. This behavior can be changed with the hot_exit global setting. I’ve also placed a poll in relation to this

Another significant change is that the OPEN FILES section of the side bar is hidden by default (although the setting is stored in your session, so you’ll only see this on fresh installs). Along with this change, the side bar will only show when needed: if the open files are hidden, and no folders have been opened, then the sidebar will be tucked away.

Goto Anything now displays files in most recently used order, although keep in mind that ctrl+tab is a quicker way to switch between recently selected files.

Take a look at the change log for the full list of changes.

0 Likes

Yay Hot Exit as default <3 thanks Jon!

One thing that I’ve noticed is that the default OSX bindings for multi-selecting up and down does not work under Lion (not tested any others) because the binding does some funky slow expose type animation.

0 Likes

I like the hot_exit function but not by default cos sometimes I work on a drive letter mapped to different folders.
And I suppose that if I modify a file on this drive, quit ST2, change the map and reopen ST2 with a different file content, it will be a mess. No ?
I think that if people don’t understand how hot exit works, data loss could happen easily if you work with different editor.

So I like to have the choice, but Is suppose I could set “hot_exit”: false and and add an ‘Hot Exit’ in my main menu.

0 Likes

I try this:
-Open an existing file in ST2 and modify it.
-Open it in Notepad, modify it and save it.
-Return to ST2 -> Message telling that the file is modified and asking if you want to reload it.
Nice :smiley:

Second try:
-Open an existing file in ST2 and modify it.
-Hot exit ST2.
-Open it in Notepad, modify it and save it.
-Reopen ST2 -> My file show the state when ST2 hot exit and no warning message when you save it. So my modifications made in Notepad is lost.
Awful :cry:

Is it possible to check if the file was modified when you return from a hot exit ? (something like a checksum of the original file)

0 Likes

FWIW if you press undo after startup, the modifications will be rolled back and you’ll be looking at the on disk file. I agree it would be nice to have some UI for this though.

0 Likes

FYI, if you want to change this on existing installs, open /path/to/Settings/Session.sublime_session, search for all of the “show_open_files” settings and set them to false.

0 Likes

You can use the View/Side Bar/Hide Open Files menu item, too :slight_smile:

0 Likes

It seems to me that the new automatic sidebar hiding is too aggressive because now, when I re-open existing projects through Cmd-Shift-P, the sidebar is hidden and I have to press “Cmd-K, Cmd-B” twice to show it.

0 Likes

yay, yay, yay, yay

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

You can use the View/Side Bar/Hide Open Files menu item, too :smile:[/quote]

You do realize that at some point you will have to create proper documentation for ST2. It will help its adoption tremendously.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for this.

0 Likes

The documentation has been slowly expanding, although feature discovery is a fundamental issue irrespective of how much there is - I’m not sure what documentation could have helped in this scenario.

0 Likes

Does anyone else have a situation where the “Find in Files” options (eg. disabling “Show context” and “Use buffer”), keep getting turned back on and not remembering the settings previously chosen?

Is this a bug or a feature that can be set via settings, or something up with my install?

0 Likes

This shouldn’t be happening - is this occurring every time you open the find in files panel, only when restarting, or something else?

0 Likes

When I start (or restart) Sublime Text, and switch between the Find modes (find in current document, find in files, find / replace), the following options are automatically set for each find panel:

Find: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find / Replace: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find in Files: Show Context, Use Buffer

Toggling any of these off and on, or selecting other options, then closing and restarting Sublime causes the above options to be set back again.

The other scenario where it occurs is for the Find in Files panel. If I deselect the above active options, or activate other options on this panel, then switch to another find type (eg. Find / Replace), then back to Find in Files, it goes back to the two original options listed above.

I’m on Mac OS X Lion with Build 2120.

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]Dev Build 2120 is out now, with some important changes.

Firstly, hot exit is now the default. This means that the normal quit key binding (OS X) or closing the last window (Windows and Linux) won’t prompt to save changes, instead the application will just exit immediately and restore the changes the next time it’s started. This behavior can be changed with the hot_exit global setting. [/quote]

Is the change supposed to be disabled in the global user setting?

0 Likes

[quote=“buymeasoda”]When I start (or restart) Sublime Text, and switch between the Find modes (find in current document, find in files, find / replace), the following options are automatically set for each find panel:

Find: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find / Replace: Wrap, Highlight Matches
Find in Files: Show Context, Use Buffer

Toggling any of these off and on, or selecting other options, then closing and restarting Sublime causes the above options to be set back again.

The other scenario where it occurs is for the Find in Files panel. If I deselect the above active options, or activate other options on this panel, then switch to another find type (eg. Find / Replace), then back to Find in Files, it goes back to the two original options listed above.

I’m on Mac OS X Lion with Build 2120.[/quote]

Experiencing similar behavior in Windows XP SP3

0 Likes

I don’t remember seeing any documentation for the menu item to hide Open Files. We can’t be expected to do a diff on the menu items with each new release.

0 Likes

It’s listed in the changelog

0 Likes

You’re using a bleeding edge release of beta software, how can you possibly expect documentation? I don’t think it’s up to Jon to expect users to do anything with this sort of release but to give reasonably tempered feedback and appreciation for being the rare breed of developer that releases so rapidly & is so communicative with the user base. As he says, it’s in the changelog, which are always clearly written.

If it was a v1.0 and you’d paid $60, then I could see getting upset about a lack of docs – but you would have known that before buying the software.

0 Likes