Sublime Forum

Dev Build 2081

Dev Build 2081 is out now.

The largest change is a reworking of how scrolling happens in the text control. This by and large shouldn’t have many user visible changes, but there may be some outstanding issues - let me know if you encounter anything.

For Windows, there’s now an option to have the text rendered via DirectWrite, instead of GDI. DirectWrite is a newer API, and brings support for y-direction anti-aliasing and sub-pixel positioning - this can give better results in some circumstances, and blurry ones in others. DirectWrite is disabled by default, but can be enabled with the “directwrite” font option - it requires Windows 7 or Vista SP 2.

There’s also the usual assortment of fixes and tweaks - full details are in the change log.

0 Likes

DirectWrite! Yippee!

It was a bit different at first, but I’m gradually (but quickly) getting used to it. It’s nice, now looking at Chrome I feel angry that it’s not there yet!

One bug I have found Jon is highlighting lines seems to highlight a gap between them, but only the first to the second.

This was introduced a while back, but I thought it was a one time thing, since then I’ve noticed it more and more.

0 Likes

The red line in your screenshot, if that’s what you’re referring to, is by design - it indicates that there is one contiguous selection there.

0 Likes

Oh I see.

Is there an option to turn it off? I keep having the feeling that it’s a rendering issue.

0 Likes

Thanks for the release!

Focus issues seem to have gone away!

0 Likes

It seems “save_on_focus_lost” not working for me in this build.

0 Likes

I really love it personally. If you have an option to disable, don’t get rid of it entirely.

0 Likes

If I try to add anything to the font_options list in my Base File.sublime-settings file I get this error:

Error trying to parse settings: Expected value in {SNIP}\Sublime Text 2\Data\Packages\User\Base File.sublime-settings:7:19

Here’s the line:

"font_options": 'directwrite'],

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]The largest change is a reworking of how scrolling happens in the text control. This by and large shouldn’t have many user visible changes, but there may be some outstanding issues - let me know if you encounter anything.
[/quote]

I’ve encountered two things so far:

1. When doing a find-all, the Find Results buffer doesn’t scroll down as far as it could. I think maybe it tries to scroll before all the text is inserted into the buffer and therefore ends the scroll above where it used to.
  2. When holding the up or down arrow key, the movement speed slows down when you hit the edge of the view and the view starts to scroll.
0 Likes

You need to use double quotes around the string, rather than single quotes

0 Likes

Few things I’ve run into, though not sure if they’re all from this update, sorry :s I’m on Linux, Arch x86_64.

• Getting a lot of oddities with the cursor. Such as it getting stuck as the type writer bar no matter what it’s hovering over as well as showing the 4-way resize cursor when in a 2 pane horizontal layout even though nothing can be resized horizontally.

• The mouse_wheel_switches_tabs option only works when added to the user global settings even though it’s already set to false in the default global settings.

• With show_tab_close_buttons set to true the left padding of the text in the tab is larger than the right padding. Text runs pretty close to the right edge of tab.

Lastly, huge thanks for fixing the background font clipping bug! That has been driving me nuts for a bit. Also a quick feature request, I remember someone made a plugin for it a while back, but with all the options being added recently is one to hide the menu bar (file, edit, etc.) coming?

0 Likes

Have you tried View \ Hide Menu?

{ "command": "toggle_menu" }
0 Likes

[quote=“jbjornson”]Have you tried View \ Hide Menu?

There is no hide menu option under view for me, and the toggle_menu command doesn’t seem to do anything. Perhaps you are using the plugin? Though I coulda sworn it was for ST1.

0 Likes

[quote=“Anomareh”]

[quote=“jbjornson”]Have you tried View \ Hide Menu?

There is no hide menu option under view for me, and the toggle_menu command doesn’t seem to do anything. Perhaps you are using the plugin? Though I coulda sworn it was for ST1.[/quote]

You’re right, same for me on Ubuntu 11.04.
The changelog of ST2 state that it work on Windows only.

0 Likes

For some reason DirectWrite is not doing the rendering of my favourite coding font any favours. Actually, it seems to be the choice of colours in my theme that DirectWrite doesn’t like much. With dark themes, coloured text (green, for example) looks terrible. With light themes, it looks lovely. Monokai looks pretty good but, to be honest, I prefer the old GDI ClearType for dark themes. Light themes I prefer DirectWrite. Definitely a good call leaving this as an option with the default off.

0 Likes

Yeah, that’s expected - there’s a “Default/Global (Linux).sublime-settings” that enables this by default for Linux, to match GTK functionality.

It seems, to me at least, to be quite variable based on the font - Courier New looks terrible under DirectWrite, while Consolas looks slightly better. I suspect this comes from many monospace fonts being design with GDI style rendering in mind. If you like coding in 36pt though, everything looks great with DirectWrite :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Not sure if it belongs here but anyway :wink:

I tried to set line_padding_bottom file option to a negative value (The font ‘Inconsolata’ on mac has too much space below the lines). The line height is then perfect and the text is centered within selections etc. but the up/down arrow keys don’t work anymore. Not sure if it is a bug or just not implemented.

0 Likes

The up/down arrow keys in combination with negative line_padding values seem to work now. Thanks.

0 Likes