Sublime Forum

Determine if hardware_acceleration is enabled on a Mac?

Just updated to ST4 - excited to see the release!

Had a question about the new hardware_acceleration setting on a Mac. When I open Preferences.sublime-settings- it's shown asnone` with the comment saying that the value is overridden in the platform specific settings.

However - I’m not sure where those platform specific settings live? I checked in ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User - but didn’t see any platform specific files in there.

Is this setting enabled in a ‘hidden’ preferences file? Is there a way to test if hardware acceleration is enabled? I’ve updated/kept my preferences from ST2, so I’m wondering if a setting file wasn’t created, or, if things are working as they should be.

1 Like

Cursor freezes / lags when typing on new M2 MacBook Pro

The platform specific settings file for Mac is Preferences (OSX).sublime-settings. You can use View Package File from the command palette to open & view that file. There hardware_acceleration will be set to opengl

If hardware acceleration is enabled, upon restart, ST would print the driver info at the very beginning of the console output.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, looks like that file is Default/Preferences (OS X).sublime-settings.

And it has hardware_acceleration as set to OpenGL, and I do see the OpenGl info printed in the console on startup. So looks like things are good! Thanks!

OpenGL Context Information:
  GL API Version: 4.1 Metal - 71.5.9
  GLSL Version: 4.10
  Vendor: Apple
  Renderer: Apple M1
0 Likes

Sorry to revive an old topic, but could you be more specific as to how I can view this console output? Thanks

0 Likes

Use View > Show Console from the menu and scroll all the way to the top,

1 Like

For me hardware acceleration seems to make the interface slower. I am on a Mac, with Apple Silicon. Anyone has a similar experience?

0 Likes