Sublime Forum

Data loss on update to sublime text 3.0

I recently updated to sublime text 3.0 . But all my files that were stored in bin folder of sublime text 3 got deleted . I had many important individual files in there . I can’t even find bin folder here . Is there any chance of reverting back or by any means retrieve my old files . Please reply fast .
Thank you .

0 Likes

It sounds like you are referring to the Sublime Text 3 application folder?

I do not know of any backups of the application folder, other than backups you (hopefully) made of your machine. If you are using the built-in upgrader for Sublime Text on Windows or Mac, I believe it manages the entire application folder.

1 Like

I found my history in session.sublime_session in AppData . Don’t know what to do with that as on how to use that to recover my files . Or is there a way to restore back to sublime text 3 and get my files back there ?

0 Likes

What is (or should be) the full path to the bin directory you’re talking about?

0 Likes

Did we find the answer to this? Can we get the files back or?

0 Likes

@braver , the path was C:\program files(x86)\sublime text 3\bin\nodes …nodes was the directory to save all my individual nodejs files .

0 Likes

@kvmknight never ever store your user generated content, files, etc in some bin folders of an application. You will loose them if you uninstall or update the software. Literally, that’s the wrong place for that.

But if you know where your vital files are than you should easily find them in your backup.

Have you also looked in the bin? But I am. It sure if during update deleted folders will be in the bin. That might be worth a try.

2 Likes

Ok, drop whatever you’re supposed to be doing right now and find everything you want to keep that you’ve stored in c:\program files and move them somewhere else. You don’t store personal files there. You will lose everything if a program you’ve installed changes or uninstalls.

2 Likes

Its a simple wordpad file , how am I suppose to extract the backup files from it . bin folder has been completely removed.

0 Likes

And also please specify where should I store my files

0 Likes

“My Documents”?

2 Likes

If you don’t have any idea than place it somewhere in your user profile on Windows. If you don’t know where it is type %USERPROFILE% as path in your explorer.

Also you should think about a backup strategy. What and from where you should backup and how. Also if you are programming you might also try some version control system.

With bin I meant the trash bin or whatever that is called in English on Windows. With some luck you can restore the deleted content there.

0 Likes

You could also consider Dropbox or a similar service, so the you’ll always have be a backup.

0 Likes