Sublime Forum

Dark Mode in macOS Mojave

macOS 10.14 introduced system dark mode.The right click background should be dark in the dark mode.

7 Likes

MacOS 10.14 Mojave - White border in dark title bar themes

+1 for macOS Dark Mode support. Knowing how popular dark themes are among programmers, I suspect the majority of Sublime Text users on macOS will enable Dark Mode upon upgrade.

2 Likes

I know I will!

0 Likes

macOS Mojave has released today, We need support for the dark mode.

1 Like

Yes, me too.

1 Like

+1 for this feature, the light colored top bar also looks out of place in Mojave dark themes.

1 Like

MacOS Mojave dark mode can be enabled for Sublime Text (3176) with this Terminal command:

defaults write com.sublimetext.3 NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 0
9 Likes

Thanks,It works Perfectly:

1 Like

Thanks!!!

0 Likes

Yes! Except that the file tree on the left is still not dark in dark mode. I know I could choose the “Adaptive” theme, but despite it’s name, it’s not adaptive. I would like to see automatic switching when system theme changes.

Thanks!

0 Likes

The Adaptive theme adapts to your color scheme, not the OS window decorations.

3 Likes

I would love if Sublime could inherit theme setting from macOS. Possible implementation is to add new macOS only settings:

{ "light_theme": ${theme}, "dark_theme": ${theme}, "light_color_scheme": ${color_scheme}, "dark_color_scheme": ${color_scheme} }

2 Likes

+1 Adding my support for Dark Mode in Sublime Text.

Right now I have two different themes in Sublime that I switch between, a light one and a dark one. I’m one of those oddballs who likes a lighter-colored theme during the day, and a dark theme at night. It would be great if the Sublime Text theme and interface would change automatically based on the Dark Mode setting in macOS Mojave.

0 Likes

This is exactly the reason I’m asking for it, and since there a couple of solutions to change macOS theme automatically based on sunset or time, automatic theme and color scheme switching in Sublime would be very useful.

0 Likes

write a plugin for it?

0 Likes

https://packagecontrol.io/packages/ThemeScheduler

0 Likes

I don’t mind to write a simple plugin for it, and thanks for suggestion, @FichteFoll, but this is not ideal solution, since I want to control appearance of all apps on the system level.
I don’t know if I can get current macOS theme setting efficiently though. Is it available inside Sublime as some kind of variable or do I need to fetch it manually from system files or through some Python lib? Can I listen to some event that triggers when system setting change or I will be forced to check for it manually on schedule?

0 Likes

I guess you could also turn it around and use an Apple Script to toggle dark mode and then modify the Sublime settings file to switch to a darker color scheme?

0 Likes

Yeah, that’s possible, wouldn’t work if user switch to dark mode manually though. Ideally I would like my solution to support that.
Currently I’m using NightOwl to automatically switch based on sunset time, so it would work when I’m travel.
I think it also would be possible to use Hammerspoon to do the same thing plus editing sublime settings file when switching.

0 Likes

Any news on this? I have lately switched to Mojave and want to use Dark Mode automatically when the sun went down, but want to switch themes in as less apps as possible manually (or by script).

1 Like