Sublime Forum

Ctrl+Tabbing cycles through tabs in random order on Linux

Say I have four tabs that I last visited in the order 4, 3, 2, 1. Holding Ctrl and pressing Tab repeatedly cycles through the tabs in the repeating order 1, 2, 3, 4, as expected. If I release Ctrl in between each Ctrl+Tab press, I would expect to just switch between tabs 1 and 2 each time, since those were the two most recently visited tabs. But instead doing this seems to send me through the tabs in semi-random order, for example:

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 4 1 2 3 4 1 4 1 2 4 2 4 2 1 ...

I can’t see any rhyme or reason to the order in which it’s cycling through the tabs, and it changes each time I try.

I’m running build 3211 on Linux. I’ve tried it on Windows and with build 3176 on MacOS and Ctrl+Tab works as expected in both of those environments. (I dual-boot Windows and tried it on the same machine as my Linux install, so I can rule out hardware issues like a sticky Ctrl key)

0 Likes

I can only say that I am not seeing this behavior on Arch Linux and my only guess would be that the hold and release state of your control key might be inconsistent. Since you already said you dual-boot on the same system, a hardware failure is unlikely, but there may still be some software interfering somewhere in the stack. Maybe check with xev whether the key events you’re seeing are what you would expect?

2 Likes

Thanks, my xmodmap settings were the issue. Correctly mapping my Ctrl keys fixes it.

0 Likes