Sublime Forum

Ctrl + O Select folder hotkey opens 'Recent' preventing Ctl + L to paste a dir

This is a pretty specific UX issue but its annoying nonetheless so thought I would put in my vote to change the behavior of ‘Ctrl + O’ for opening a new repository.

( on Gnome / Arch - I’m not sure if this is specific to Gnome )

Typically in an application ctrl+o opens a file system explorer, which happens in Sublime Merge. That part is AOK.

however, it seems Sublime Merge is opening the ‘recent’ tab of this system explorer

the problem is the ‘recent’ tab does not support the next logical hotkey ctrl+L which highlights the filesystem address/path bar and makes for easy pasting of a directory you already have on clipboard that you want Sublime Merge to open.

long ago I got into the habbit of never using application prompts for browsing/selecting files - I always have a file browser window open for that reason which is better at navigating to files typically and also supports tabs and hotkeys (such as ctrl+l) for readily copy/pasting a direcory path. Alternatively i have ample terminals open at any given moment and can hotkey the current directory without needing mouse for quick pasting into Sublime Merge…

but am constantly getting tripped up by the open repository file picker in Sublime Merge; by starting in recent tab it kills this ‘mouseless’ flow of opening intended directory - instead of ctrl+o and ctrl+l and ctrl+v to quickly paste a dir there is now a necessary mouse step to change from ‘recent’ to ‘Home’ (or any dir from the left side nav) and only then will ctrl+l work.

alternatively, ctrl+l should just work from the ‘recent’ file browser popup window but pehraps that is an issue for Gnome devs.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long rant about a very minor optimization/issue that is perhaps worthy of going on the Sublime Merge todo list.

0 Likes