Sublime Forum

Css hint similar to VSCode

Hi,

I just recently started to use ST3 (from VSCode). Back in VSCode when I’m editing css (scss) files and when I hover over the style it displays a visual clue on how the class will be applied in the html structure. Is there any similar functionality/package which I can use to get the same feature. Plus it would be nice if there is some quick info feature as well for css(scss) files.

0 Likes

can you include a screenshot of the VSCode functionality please, it could help us identify if Sublime has anything similar

0 Likes

I’m very sorry for the dark arrow, however when I hover over the class it shows a tip on how it will be applied

0 Likes

you can use the LSP package with the vscode-css client, for configuration see here

1 Like

Thanks for this. I installed LSP and vscode-css-languageserver-bin. I also went to Preferences->Package Settings->LSP->Settings and added the following

"clients": {
	"vscode-css": {
		"enabled": true,
		"command": [
			"node",
			"C:/Users/a136836/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/vscode-css-languageserver-bin/cssServerMain.js",
			"--stdio"
		],
		"scopes": ["source.css"],
		"syntaxes": ["Packages/CSS/CSS.sublime-syntax"],
		"languageId": "css"
	}
}

Now when I try LSP->Enable Language Server in the command palette I don’t see an option for css.

I think this step might not be required since its already enabled with the values under the “client” section. How do I get the pop up working as shown in my initial screenshot? Plus none of the shortcut keys like ctrl+. seem to be working.

Plus when I try to look at the LSP diagnostics I see nothing.

I think I’m missing a step, would appreciate some help.

0 Likes

works for me:

and diagnostics too:

are you sure that the path to cssServerMain.js is valid ?

add these to your LSP settings file:

"log_debug": true,
"log_stderr": true

open a css file, open the console and see what is logged.

0 Likes

Thanks, after messing around a lot I got it working. I want to do the same for the .scss files. To that end I have the following entry in the settings file

"scss":
	{
		"command":
		[
			"node",
			"C:/Users/a136836/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/vscode-css-languageserver-bin/cssServerMain.js",
			"--stdio"
		],
		"languageId": "scss",
		"scopes":
		[
			"source.scss"
		],
		"syntaxes":
		[
			"Packages/CSS/CSS.sublime-syntax"
		]
	},

However this is not working and again the console is not showing anything. I think its primarily because its not detecting the type properly, the syntax shows it as “scss” but its not running the LSP Server.

0 Likes

Maybe you need to add it’s syntax to the entry, you first need to install the Sass package.
And you don’t need a new entry for sass anyway, just add the scope and syntax on top of your vscode-css settings and make sure the scope is correct (open an scss file and press ctrl+alt+m to show the scope name).
I haven’t tried it yet, but i’ll see later.

0 Likes

These are my configurations:

"vscode-css":
		{
			"command":
			[
				"node",
				"C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/vscode-css-languageserver-bin/cssServerMain.js",
				"--stdio"
			],
			"languageId": "css",
			"scopes":
			[
				"source.css",
				"source.scss",
				"source.css.less",
				"source.sass"
			],
			"syntaxes":
			[
				"Packages/CSS/CSS.sublime-syntax",
				"Packages/Sass/Syntaxes/SCSS.sublime-syntax",
				"Packages/LESS/LESS.sublime-syntax",
				"Packages/Sass/Syntaxes/Sass.sublime-syntax"
			]
		}
0 Likes

Thanks for this and it seems to work ok, I’m also trying to get this working for .ts files. This is my configuration

"js": {
		"command": ["lsp-tsserver"],
		"languageId": "javascript",
		"scopes": ["source.js"],
		"syntaxes": ["Packages/JavaScript/JavaScript.sublime-syntax"]
	},
	"jsts": {
		"command": ["lsp-tsserver"],
		"languageId": "TypeScript",
		"scopes": ["source.ts", "source.tsx"],
		"syntaxes": [
			"Packages/TypeScript-TmLanguage/TypeScript.tmLanguage",
			"Packages/TypeScript-TmLanguage/TypeScriptReact.tmLanguage"
		]
	},

However when I open a .js or .ts file the server does not do anything, (actually I think it starts) however none of the shortcut keys seem to work. I have installed the required packages as well.

0 Likes

• you should add .cmd to the command and make sure it’s in you path.
  • you need to install the TypeScript Syntax package to get syntax highlighting
  • you should change the syntaxes to the ones in the TypeScript Syntax package.
    here are my settings:
		"jsls":
		{
			"command":
			[
				"lsp-tsserver.cmd"
			],
			"languageId": "javascript",
			"scopes":
			[
				"source.js"
			],
			"syntaxes":
			[
				"Packages/JavaScript/JavaScript.sublime-syntax"
			]
		},
		"tsls":
		{
			"command":
			[
				"lsp-tsserver.cmd"
			],
			"languageId": "typescript",
			"scopes":
			[
				"source.ts",
				"source.tsx"
			],
			"syntaxes":
			[
				"Packages/TypeScript Syntax/TypeScript.tmLanguage",
				"Packages/TypeScript Syntax/TypeScriptReact.tmLanguage"
			]
		}
0 Likes

Thank you everyone for the help. I finally got it working.

0 Likes

Sometimes the value of languageId determines the processing that language server enables so for CSS/SCSS (vscode-css-languageservice) it might matter which one is passed and thus one might need to create two different client entries for css and scss. I haven’t verified with the source code if it’s actually the case but I had this issue with vue-ls (also made by Microsoft).

0 Likes

Just by quickly scanning the code, there is a code like this: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode-css-languageservice/blob/47e6f7e4d09de7142f5275658037eda39008b661/src/services/cssFolding.ts#L28 so it seems that the value of languageId deteremines the parser mode that is used. So I wouldn’t recommend creating client configs like the one above.

0 Likes

Hi Everyone,

In order to get scss working I had the following setting

"vscode-scss":
	{
		"command":
		[
			"node",
			"C:/Users/user/AppData/Roaming/npm/node_modules/vscode-css-languageserver-bin/cssServerMain.js",
			"--stdio"
		],
		"languageId": "scss",
		"scopes":
		[
			"source.scss"
		],
		"syntaxes":
		[
			"Packages/Syntax Highlighting for Sass/Syntaxes/SCSS.sublime-syntax"
		]
	}

There was an upgrade to the scss syntax page last night and now the scope shows “source.scss.scss” When I change the setting it still does not work and I see the following error

LSP: no config found or enabled for view "layout.component.scss"

I also installed another package “syntax highlighting for sass” and this initially shows scope name as “source.scss” However I get the same error here as well.

0 Likes

New scope is source.css.scss, not source.scss.scss. Maybe you just made a typo in the comment?

0 Likes