Sublime Forum

CPU spikes

Hello,
I use sublime merge to track medium sized repo. My issue is that every 3 seconds sublime merge spikes one core of my cpu to 100%, in between it takes ca. 0, 40, 60% (monitored via htop). I use kubuntu 18.04

Friend of mine that uses sublime merge on same repository does not see any issue with cpu (his cpu is constantly around 0-5%).

I tried to use sublime merge on new mini repository (10 files) and cpu was around 0%. I also suspected that indexing might be issue, so I let the sublime merge run throughout the night, however in the morning with the same result.

Are there any tools built in or debug mode so I can find out where might be the issue? Do you have any hint what can I try?

Thank you and thank you for wonderful piece of software

// edit: I’ve tried to reboot, it was fine for several minutes (usage was 0%), so I started working in repo and again, every three secs spikes to 100%

0 Likes

Sublime Merge doesn’t do any indexing. Is it spiking while idle, or only while you’re performing git operations? Which OS/version are you using?

0 Likes

Yes, 100% even if there is no activity in repo files and sublime merge is minimalized.

Using kubuntu 18.04

0 Likes

Is the application frozen while this is happening? How many authors has your repository got (git shortlog -s -n -e | wc -l)?

0 Likes

application is not frozen, it is fully responsive
there are 23 authors in repo
I’ve recorded it (if it might help). During the recording the application was idle:

0 Likes

so aren’t there any tools or (hidden) debug mode, where I could see what is happening in the background?

0 Likes

It might help to get the debug information from the Help/Debug Information menu (it might also help to compare that to your friend’s info). It’s certainly happening in a background thread and we’ve got a bunch of fixes queued up for a release in relation to performance. We don’t currently ship debug symbols, but a profile run with gprof, a stacktrace from gdb or a coredump (or minidump) would allow us to narrow it down.

0 Likes