Sublime Forum

Console commenter for laypersons?

Is there a Package that would allow layperson (no programming skills) to permanently comment/uncomment stuff in (mac) Control-` Console?

For example, when I install CSS3 for my coding syntax, it advises to disable default CSS. But then console shows:

I have no idea what ‘error’ and ‘so such’ means, nor do I care. All I want to do is add a stand-out comment (yellow color would be nice) to indicate this:

So only two things need to happen. One, right-click and comment Console line ‘Error…’. Two, Sublime keeps this comment where it is until I uninstall CSS3 and the ‘Error…’ line is removed, or until I right-click my end-user comment and ‘Remove’ my comment.

If you search Package Control for Console, there are lots of programmers tools that do things to ‘consoles’ in other windows. Can’t find anything for simple ST3 Console commenting. Is there a way to do this in Sublime, or a Package/plugin?

0 Likes

Two, Sublime keeps this comment where it is until I uninstall CSS3 and the ‘Error…’ line is removed, or until I right-click ‘Error…’ and remove my comment.

That’s not how a log works.

0 Likes

No such thing exists.

If installing the CSS3 package causes the error, my recommendation would be to report the issue to the project to see if it can be resolved.

1 Like

The problem is that the CSS3 package asks you to disable the default “CSS” package. However, the default HTML package expects this to be present, which is what causes the errors.

You should raise this issue at the CSS3 repo and refer to this thread.

(And yes, ironically this means the CSS3 package doesn’t even cause the error, because it requires user action, which is independent of whether the actual package is installed or not.)

0 Likes

Ick; the default HTML bundle is directly hardcoded to work with the default CSS bundle. That should probably be fixed in the default package.

0 Likes

Unfortunately the only way to fix this would be to dictate the context names for any CSS syntax to use for the rule list such that it can be embedded in the style="" attribute. Currently it is using the abstract include: 'scope:source.css' when any full CSS will do.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that still be more flexible than the current situation? It’s not perfect, I admit, but I don’t see a perfect solution within the present framework.

0 Likes

Not all things necessarily have to be flexible. Imo it’s sensible to expect users not to disable default packages from a default package PoV.

By the way, as far as I remember packages can still take priority over the bundled CSS.sublime-syntax if they provide such a file themselves (the HTML syntax does not reference it by its full resource path), although I do not know how the precedence for this works.

0 Likes

So essentially, compiling the requested feature involves adding a whole new operations layer, just for user commenting… Expected. Is this something packaging can accomplish? Yes/no, thanks.

0 Likes

No, the feature you requested is not possible.

What is being discussed is what changes are necessary for the CSS3 package to “fill in” in place of the CSS syntax with the HTML syntax, which will fix the errors you are seeing reported.

0 Likes

Also expected (sigh).

As Sublime project develops, some things are getting left behind. For example CSS3_Syntax for still otherwise very useful ST2. We will be musing the same after ST4 outdates ST2, I guess. In fact, I always wonder why there is not more energy focused on balancing DOM basics in useful products. Comparing ST2 and ST3 packages, HTML5 is faring far better than CSS3.

This relates to Unix versus Linux intalls. For Unix, I can only run one version of Sublime at one time. Whereas on Linux a simple EXE rename does the trick. So interchanging Unix ST2 and ST3 is mandatory. Sacrilage to not do so. CSS3_Syntax yanked out, that’s not right! Ergo, everything is as it should be. Consoles are machine things, not web code things. But how does machine relate to web?

So for a wishlist Console Commenter, stats-and-content in user-comments would get somehow pushed to package developers when their add-in gets commented. Perhaps this would compensate Package Control and Git Hub complexity, help make Sublime more user-friendly. That is, if it ever becomes “possible”. And "possible relates to the word out there, I get that… Someday, a package for commenting installed packages with auto Git Hub feeds. Needs a “possible” Git Hub ‘blab’ feature.

Packaging HTML and CSS (loading up my Sublime downloads) is always fun, and very educational, even if it always leaves me feeling remotely abandoned. Front-end Console forgotten nuisance, for simple-minded web coders like me.

Thanks all, Sublime ROCKS!

1 Like

Amazing, none of that made any sense!

0 Likes

More like ‘capacity’ at issue here, isn’t it.

The difference between ST HTML and CSS is that the latter is never up to scratch, not enough resource put into it. PHP etc rely on solid HTML so it gets more priority, out of necessity. CSS technology grew out of HTML. Hence it is less flexible and less solidly supported, more of a challenge to keep up-to-date. More of a challenge to apply in code, as well.

0 Likes