Sublime Forum

Commit user

I entered an arbitrary name in the name field of Edit User, and that name automatically generated a Github account, what is the password for that account?
I want to delete this account. I find that when entering an existing username, the commit record will be for this user.

0 Likes

I don’t think Github automatically generates accounts, Sublime Merge certainly doesn’t. The name you use to commit is arbitrary and doesn’t need to match what you use on Github.

2 Likes

Edit%20User
You can try: entering a Github User that already exists, and then see who submitted your Github commits.

0 Likes

That is correct. As I said the name/email is arbitrary and is separate to access control on github. If you want to verify someone’s identity in a commit you can use gpg signing.

1 Like

Interestingly, if you type in a user that doesn’t exist on Github, you’ll be able to search for that user after that. And I want to delete this user, because it’s taking my name.

0 Likes

If that’s the case, you’ll need to talk to GitHub. It is possible that someone else has that account already.

0 Likes