Sublime Forum

Comments about Linters

I’m a registered user of Sublime Text 3, on Windows 10, and think the basic product is terrific.

However, installing the various Linters is making me crazy :cry: I’d pay double for the product or for plugins if I could just install the package/plugins and start using them, without making changes to user/system variables key bindings etc.

This is not meant to be a rant; I’ll keep using the product but I’ve got to go back to PhpEd to “lint” my PHP code

Frank

0 Likes

You cannot get both an editor that integrates everything out the box, and an editor that can be set up to do pretty much everything you can think of. But that’s also the choice you make: use an IDE but don’t expect it to be a light weight fully pluggable editor, or use Sublime Text but don’t expect it to be all things to everyone right out of the box.

In lots of environments it’s very beneficial that SublimeLinter basically runs the same thing as you would on the command line. Now of course especially Windows users are used to integrated monolithic applications and not used to doing things on the command line. So, I get your point, but it’s an impossible request for SublimeLinter. There are almost 150 linter plugins out there, we cannot ship with the executables for all of them.

1 Like

Braver
I agree with everything you said. It’s a great product “out of the box” and I’ll keep using it that way. When I get some more time I’ll get back to trying to get “linting” working for me.

Thanks
Frank

1 Like