Sublime Forum

Changing themes and colors makes ST unable to open large folders

Hello,

I work with ST for many years now and everything has always been fine.

Some days ago i wanted to try new themes and colors so i installed some.
And after that, ST takes very long time to open folder with lot of contents.
I see the % of indexing very slowly progressing in status bar… not usable anymore.

When it starts to fail, nothing can help it go back to initial state : i have to uninstall / re-install totally ST to have it working normal again.

I tried with multiple themes and even with integrated theme when dowloading / installing sublime directly, it’s the same… As soon as i start to tweak the user settings, it becomes un-usable.

My config : ST3176 Unregistered on Macbook Air High Sierra 10.13.3

Does anyone has meet that issue ?
Thanks

0 Likes

I found a way to make it works so i give an answer to myself for other who had same issue.

I don’t know what i was doing wrong with the themes… But i finally reached what i was looking for (a dark theme btw) so here it is how :

I installed ST from scratch (again).
Then Package Controll (https://packagecontrol.io/installation).
Then, with PC i installed ColorSublime (https://colorsublime.github.io/how-to-install-a-theme/).
Then in ST i toggled theme to Adaptive.sublime-theme (which is dark version for folders panel).
Finally i used “Colorsublime: Install Theme” to search and find what i wanted for the global colors.

Result is : i have the great ui of ST with more cool colors to help my eyes relax + ST is still capable of opening huge folders instantly.

This is it !

0 Likes

Performance might depend on the theme you use.

There are a couple of themes out in the wild, which try to be very flexible in configuration with the drawback of carrying around a lot of overhead, which is not visible but can quickly make ST eat a lot of RAM and slow down its GUI.

Such candidates are Boxy and Material Theme and friends.

0 Likes