Sublime Forum

Change autocomplete style of the new default theme

Hi,
Is there a way (and I am sure there is ) I can change the autocomplete style of the default theme ? I am using the “Default theme” along with “Monokai Pro - Filter Octagon theme” and the autocomplete is barely visible.

https://cl.ly/maN7

Please suggest.
Thanks

0 Likes

Somebody willing to help me out with this ?
It is fast becoming a pain …

Thanks

0 Likes

The colors of the popup panel are derived from the color scheme. The background is tinted with 5% of white to lighten it a bit. Text color should be the plain text default color.

Therefore it is not an issue of the theme but rather the color scheme.

0 Likes

the same color scheme works fine with Retina theme, how so?

Thanks

0 Likes

Also , can you please let me know how did you get that information ?

Thanks once again.

0 Likes

The new default themes come along with a set of new features to access a color scheme to gain some information about the background color and the default plain text color.

The idea is to enable “Adaptive” themes, which adapt their appearance to the currently active color scheme. The old Retina Theme doesn’t make use of these features, but uses fixed colors.

The text color used for auto-completions should be the default text color of plain text.

I found the 5% value in the Default.sublime-theme which is located in the Packages/Theme - Default.sublime-package

In line 531ff. you’ll find the entries

{
        "class": "popup_control",
        "layer0.tint": [255, 255, 255],
        "layer0.opacity": 1.0
    },
    {
        "class": "auto_complete",
        "row_padding": [4, 1, 4, 1],
        "tint_index": 0,
        "layer0.opacity": 1.0,
        "tint_modifier": [255, 255, 255, 0.05],  // this means tint 5% with white on dark background
    },
    {
        "class": "auto_complete",
        "attributes": ["file_light"],
        "tint_modifier": [0, 0, 0, 0.05], // this means tint 5% with black on light background
    },

If you create a Default.sublime-theme in ur User folder with that content and modify the tint value, you’ll see the effects.

I played around with themes a very little bit as I added a static border around completions and tooltip panels. Otherwise they are sometimes hard to distinguish from the rest :smile:

0 Likes

Btw.: You can force the completion color to use a certain value via theme as follows:

1. create a Packages/User/Default.sublime-theme
  2. Add the following construct
{ // start of file

{
        "class": "auto_complete_label",
        "fg": [0, 0, 0, 0.0], // You could force white [255, 255, 255, 1.0],
        "match_fg": [255, 255, 255, 0.18],
        "selected_fg": [0, 0, 0, 0.0],
        "selected_match_fg": [255, 255, 255, 0.18],
        "fg_blend": true // You might want to disable the color scheme adaption
    },

} // eof

But If I were you, I’d ask the author of a color scheme to find a good solution.

0 Likes