Sublime Forum

Can't view sublime text forum posts when tampermonkey is installed but not actively running any scripts on sublimetext.com

The forum shows up - but trying to view individual posts shows up blank… I’m using Opera… I am not blocking any elements on the forum and I’m not seeing requests for third-party files.

The issue is regarding TamperMonkey… It allows me to edit sites to match my browsing habits, remove malicious code, etc…

The thing is, TamperMonkey isn’t active on ST3 forum, but it is enabled… For some reason that causes an issue… Either you’re purposefully blocking people who use it, or there is an error on your site which conflicts with it. Tampermonkey adds hooks to execute code - if no code runs then there is no issue so why is this site affected?

Note: Trying to post is also impossible as the categories dropdown doesn’t get populated…

Am I going to have to dig around to see why this is happening and create a fix? Because there may come a time when I want to use tampermonkey or another site modification on sublimetext.com to improve upon the design, slim it down, remove malicious code ( in case thirdparty code is ever added ), etc… There are many reasons why having control over the browser and the output / code execution is important - I don’t understand why it is being blocked on this site…

0 Likes

When you’re manually injecting code into a website that wasn’t designed for it, it’s possible for things to go wrong. That doesn’t mean that Discourse (the forum software seen here) is deliberately interfering with TamperMonker for some reason.

Am I going to have to dig around to see why this is happening and create a fix?

Probably.

0 Likes

I’m running tamper monkey on Firefox and do not experience any such issues.

0 Likes

We are running a pretty vanilla Discourse install, so I’d start digging there.

0 Likes

The thing is, I’m not injecting anything on this forum… Tampermonkey shouldn’t be adding any hooks unless code is executing…

I’ve added this site to the blacklist for the time being, but I may want to inject code some-time in the future…

I’m running:

Windows 10 x64
Opera ( Chrome back-end [ Chromium engine ] w/ Opera Front-End meaning I can run Chrome without all of the memory-leaks which occur with Chrome )… latest version x64

Tampermonkey and other mods do need to be coded differently for different browsers… For example, with Firefox you can capture JavaScript code before it is executed and replace it with nothing, or something else which is the ideal environment for catching malicious scripts, or for rewriting sites with basic “protection” against AD-Blocking, etc… But my issue with Firefox is the amount of memory usage required is enormous… It’s too much and over time - if you leave the browser open 24/7 as I do, I do with most other apps too - the usage simply spikes until you have to restart it meaning there is another memory leak… It is likely with AdBlock - AdBlock Plus, UBlock, UBlock Origin, and all of the others… I have yet to find one in Firefox which doesn’t have a memory leak in it or which doesn’t consume a ton of memory…

Opera has adblocking built in, and it consumes next to nothing… On top of that, I have UMatrix and UBlock installed and it still doesn’t take much more memory - and I can leave it open 24/7 without any issues ( typically you end up unable to watch any videos because they’re jerky with any other browser with adblocking ) which I can’t do with Chrome, Firefox, etc…

Now, even if you do inject code into a site which “wasn’t designed for it” it shouldn’t affect the entire page… I don’t inject code into this site - but tampermonkey may although it shouldn’t unless a script is running - which it isn’t… Regardless, it shouldn’t cause the posts to not show up and cause other things to break unless the developer for TamperMonkey or this forum software are using the same namespace and overwriting data meant for the other ( it happens more than you think )…

0 Likes

Just found a reason to use TamperMonkey on this site… If a post is longer than 32000 chars, you don’t find out until after you press reply or submit post… It should be output next to, or above / below the text area…

0 Likes