Sublime Forum

Can't type anything but tabs and newlines

Using 64-bit Linux build of v3, from tarball.

On any file, whether opened normally or even new files created with File -> New, I can use basic keyboard navigation, ctrl-z undo, ctrl-y redo and insert tabs and newlines into the documents, but I cannot make any other edits. Letters, numbers, symbols and even space bar do absolutely nothing (unless combined with “ctrl-” as a keyboard shortcut). I cannot type anything into the documents other than tab or enter.

This occurs on all three builds I’ve tried: 3065, 3083, and 3103. I don’t have this problem with any other program on the system, just Sublime Edit.

0 Likes

Alphabetic character keys stuck

Do you have any plugins installed? maybe something is instantly marking all documents as readonly?

0 Likes

No. Unless it’s something that’s built-in and enabled by default - it’s a 100% fresh download. Downloaded the tarball, extracted it, ran the executable. It did auto-open some documents I had open last time I tried to run a different copy of it, so maybe it’s grabbing something from who-knows-where, but I don’t know why or how - it’s a fresh extraction, from a newly downloaded tarball, to a fresh new directory named with the build number.

And even if they are being somehow marked as read-only, then I shouldn’t be able to insert tabs or newlines as it currently lets me.

0 Likes

I found that it automatically creates/uses a config directory at “~/.config/sublime-text-3/”. I tried closing Sublime Edit, removing that directory, and re-running Sublime Edit, but the problem still persists.

0 Likes

can you type anything in the console (View menu - Show Console)? what about pasting?

if you can, type sublime.log_input(True) and sublime.log_commands(True) and see if it displays anything when you try to type

0 Likes

can you type anything in the console (View menu - Show Console)?

Only “Enter”, nothing else.

what about pasting?

That works.

if you can, type sublime.log_input(True) and sublime.log_commands(True) and see if it displays anything when you try to type

Only if I type enter, tab or a keyboard shortcut:

key evt: tab
command: reindent
key evt: enter
command: insert {“characters”: “\n”}

Nothing is logged if I just press a plain letter/number/symbol/space key.

0 Likes

very odd. Do you have a special keyboard layout?

hopefully someone else will have some ideas about what is going wrong and why

0 Likes

No, standard US layout. And I’ve tried with multiple keyboards (The built-in laptop keyboard and an external USB).

0 Likes

FWIW, Sublime Text 2 appears to have the same problem. But again, I haven’t encountered that in any other program.

0 Likes

Did you ever figure out what the issue is? I’m having the same trouble, just installed Sublime 3 and mavens mate and can’t type in any files. I can do all of the commands through the keyBindings but can’t actually type in any of my files.

0 Likes

I just deleted all Sublime and Mavensmate files and reinstalled everything and now it’s working fine.

0 Likes