Sublime Forum

Can't set ST3 as default app (Win10 Pro)

As you can see in the video, I can’t set Sublime 3 to be the default program for any file type on Win10 Pro. This works perfectly fine on my other Win10 Laptop but not on this brand new desktop (I just installed Windows yesterday).

The context menu link for “Open with Sublime Text 3” works just fine.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Try:

1. Renaming Sublime Text.exe to Sublime Text2.exe
  2. And then try to set the Sublime Text2.exe as the default app.

I had issues like this on Windows, due bad registry entries. Therefore you could also find the registry keys mentioning Sublime Text.exe and delete them.

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn’t work - Results in same behavior.

0 Likes

Hey, looking over you animation, you need check in this box before choosing Sublime Text:

0 Likes

Did. No effect.

0 Likes

What build are you using? I think we fixed an exe metadata issues in 3127 that prevented setting ST3 as the default.

0 Likes

3126 x64 - The one on the live site atm.

0 Likes

That is the stable build. See sublimetext.com/3dev for dev builds.

0 Likes

Same issue on build 3141. Before installing 3141, I checked that the Program Files folder was deleted, removed all AppData folders, and checked that no entries in the registry matched “sublime”.

I also tried installing sublime with a different install path.

For the heck of it I also updated Windows to the latest, and also tried the 32-Bit version to no avail.

0 Likes

Try:

1. Right click on the file, and select properties
  2. General Tab, Open with > change button
  3. Select Sublime Text
  4. Press the apply button

Close the window and now the file should be opened with Sublime Text

I’m using the last stable version and windows 10 and it worked to me

0 Likes

Thanks, gepd, but no dice. That just opens up the same context menu for “Look for another app on this PC” which fails to recognize Sublime Text 3. It closes as if nothing had been selected every time (as shown in the originally posted gif).

0 Likes

Which Windows 10 build you are using?

You can try to install Default Programs Editor and manually set Sublime Text as the default program:

0 Likes

Follow-up: Windows apparently did not finish installing updates until I rebooted a third time. Once those updates were applied I got a message saying “Thank you for upgrading to the latest version of Windows” and the issue went away.

2 Likes