Sublime Forum

Can't Get Out of the Starting Gate

Trying to use Sublime Text v 2.0.2 with python 3.7.0 on OS 10.6.8. Created Python3.sublime.build as follows:

“cmd”: [“python3”,"-u","$file"]

then tried to build hello_world.py with:

print(“Hello”)

Get error message:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory
[cmd: [u’python3’, u’-u’, u’/Users/sjc/Documents/Projects/4. Projects, Potential/Python, Learn/python_work/hrllo_world.py’]]
[dir: /Users/sjc/Documents/Projects/4. Projects, Potential/Python, Learn/python_work]
[path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin]
[Finished]

It looks as if the encoding used by python3 and Sublime Text 2 (particulary the left quotation mark) are different but I can’t figure out how to get around it.

Sorry if this is a newbie question but then again, I’m a newbie :slight_smile:

0 Likes

ST2 is years old and unsupported, you should have better luck with ST3, and/or trying a simpler folder structure to store your python code in

0 Likes

Thanks but I am stuck on Mac OS 10.6.3 for “reasons” and ST3 doesn’t run on that. I don’t expect support, I was just wondering if there is something obvious I am missing. The leading “u’” looks like python is choking on the UTF 8 smart quote character.

0 Likes

From the looks of the error message you’re getting, the error isn’t that Python is mad, the error is that the OS is mad that you told it to run a program that doesn’t exist in the path, which is being displayed as the last part of the error diagnostics.

0 Likes

Thank you! The Python 3 installer installed itself in /usr/local/bin. Changing the build file to:

“cmd”: ["/usr/local/bin/python3","-u","$file"]

fixed it. Three days. Arrrrrgh!

Thanks for taking the time to help. Your reward will be in the next life :slight_smile:

1 Like