Sublime Forum

Cannot make sublime 3 default editor windows 10 (Sept 2018)

Hi everyone, just off a fresh install of Windows 10 with the latest update (as of the time posting this)

I installed Sublime Text 3 (3176) and it works great but the problem is assigning file types to default with Sublime.

I’ve tried the traditional method like I usually do with file type associations, but it doesn’t work:

Image: https://i.imgur.com/f3fmvSs.png

I then tried the Windows settings file type method and you can see it won’t apply:

Video: https://streamable.com/01cih

I get the same results for all file types, .txt, .html, .php, etc… it will not work.

This used to work fine with previous Windows 10 versions, not sure what the issue is…

Any ideas?

0 Likes

you could try something external like https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html if Microsoft haven’t prevented third party apps from making such changes in Windows 10. Typically it’s just a registry setting, so I imagine it should be possible to change it externally or manually.

0 Likes

Hey funny that you mention that, I did try that already with no luck despite having the settings setup for sublime.

https://i.imgur.com/K4auo7e.png

Yikes

0 Likes

you could try uninstalling, downloading the latest ST3 installer and installing from that, I seem to recall that some company info was previously not being set by the installer which caused win 10 to reject it as a default app. Installing from the latest installer should help as it now contains this necessary metadata.

edit: ah, sorry, you said fresh install so probably not going to help

0 Likes

No worries mate appreciate your help.

Thinking it’s a Windows issue and not sublime.

0 Likes

Hi!
I’m on the same situation.
I’ve tried with notepad++ but it couldn’t be setted as default program for .py files.
I hope they fixed it soon.

It’s actually so wierd, because I couldn’t set windows’ notepad as default program to open .md files :thinking:
:cry:

0 Likes

Yup, same problem - running the 3176 version, which is the latest I can find :frowning:

0 Likes

I’ve noticed that my computer doesn’t even recognize Sublime as a downloaded program. Attempted to search for it and I get no results.

Would be nice if staff chimed in and helped, because this is kind of stupid that we can’t make this a default program.

0 Likes

I’ve actually found that this seems to be a Windows-problem, more than a Sublime problem. Or, rather, that later versions of Windows 10 have modified something, that makes Sublime (and other programs) not wanting to replace the default Windows ones.

Previously, when I experienced this issue, I was on Windows 10 1803 (latest before the pulled October update) - for other reasons (although this was part of it), I reinstalled with an older Windows 10 version, the 1709, and this time it worked just fine setting Sublime as the default - via all the different methods (going into Settings and setting it by file-type, right-clicking a file and picking “Open with” and “Always open with this program”, and also right-clicking and going into properties and setting the default program there).

So, it’s definitely something Microsoft did - mind, all of these tests are done with the Sublime Text 3 build 3176.

0 Likes

Can't choose Sublime as default app for .html, .py

I’ve been looking for an iso file to install that w10 version (1709) and I couldn’t find anyone.
Where did you download your one?

0 Likes

0 Likes

Same here, i formatted my work pc and my home pc, install last windows 10 version and both have same problem.

0 Likes

The same problem is happening here. I thought I had screwed up my Windows 10 installation. So all I can do is wait.

1 Like

Facing same issue here with build 3176. This is a new PC.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Not sure if its windows trouble or SB3. Tried even tweaking registry as per some old posts but in vain.

0 Likes

The same issue here with ST3176 on Windows 10 Ent. 1803 build 17134.345.

0 Likes

Beep, me too.

0 Likes

Looking around, I found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/cant-change-default-app-after-windows-latest/3847cfd0-585d-4c54-a640-0c7c6fe9bb5e

One reply:

Hi,

The fix for this is to just uninstall the October 9th update (KB4462919) from your computer. I did a system reset and found out it was actually that update that messes up with that. Its a known bug from what I been gathering around the web. I think you should hold off on updating Windows 10 after 1809 is released again because MS is keen on fixing issues with that build. I would suggest you stick with the September 26th update (KB4458469) and it fixes the issue. You can uninstall the update via the Settings > Update & Security > View update history > Uninstall updates > Select KB4462919.

Best of luck,

CT-7221

Gonna try it now, will edit here with results.

Edit (kinda late, life happens): Didn’t work.

0 Likes

You want to get on the build before KB4458469, so build 17134.286. This bug is in 17134.320 and 17134.345.

0 Likes

I am using build 17134.376 of Windows 10:1803 and I am still experiencing this issue.

0 Likes

Is 17134.376 an Insider build? I don’t see it under 1803 here.

0 Likes