Sublime Forum

Can’t type German characters

I use Sublime Text 4 (Build 4126) on Linux Lubuntu 20.04 for notes, LaTeX and low-level scripts.

Since a few hours I can’t type German characters (Umlaute äöü, ß) anymore. I reinstalled ST4, but that didn’t do the trick. I have no clue where this comes from. I have no keyboard-issues with other programs and switch keyboard-layouts between Greek and German frequently without any problems.

Any idea where to look?

0 Likes

I use Sublime Text 4 (Build 4126) and have the same problem on Xubuntu 22.04, but with unable to type any Russian text. No problems with typing English letters. Rolling back to 4121 build fixes it.

2 Likes

Can you provide some help on how to roll back? I downloaded the tar.xz-file for build 4121 and decompressed it, but can’t install it. I can only open it an run the program, but it won’t make sublime-text the standard program for textfiles or .tex files.

0 Likes

I just issued the command:
sudo aptitude install sublime-text=4121

1 Like

That did the trick. Thank you very much.

The problem experienced by both of us will hopefully be resolved in a later build. But in the meantime using build 4121 will be sufficient.

0 Likes

I’m experiencing the same problem with Sublime Text 4 (Build 4126) on Xubuntu 20.04 LTS: keys like German umlauts do not work. Downgrading to Build 4121 solves the issue.

After sudo apt install sublime-text=4121 to downgrade the package, you can use sudo apt-mark hold sublime-text to keep this version, otherwise sudo apt upgrade would try to upgrade it again.

1 Like

I’m unable to reproduce this. What’s the value of the environment variable LC_NUMERIC?

0 Likes

enzo@scuderia-pc:~$ echo $LC_NUMERIC
ru_RU.UTF-8

0 Likes

Does running Sublime Text using LC_NUMERIC=C subl fix the issue?

0 Likes

No, it doesn’t.

0 Likes

Note that ST needs to be fully exited for that to work.

0 Likes

Sure, there was only one instance of Sublime run from cmd.

0 Likes

I recently updated Xubuntu to version 22.04 LTS; however the problem still was present.

(My LC_NUMERIC is de_DE.UTF-8, and using LC_NUMERIC=C subl did not solve the problem)

But I found this solution:

• open Ubuntu Settings → Language Support
  • change “Keyboard input method system” from “XIM” to “IBus”
  • open Ubuntu Settings → IBus Preferences
  • on tab “Input Method” install the keyboard layout you prefer (“German - German (no dead keys)” in my case)
  • reboot

Now Sublime v4126 finally works with German umlauts.

0 Likes

Confirm the same issue on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS with Sublime Build 4126. I have no idea how to cope with the problem. One little observation. If I open console window (Ctlr + `) and exec command sublime.log_input (True) then I can see characters I pressed in English layout, for example:
chr evt: q (0x71)
chr evt: w (0x77)
chr evt: e (0x65)
chr evt: r (0x72)
chr evt: t (0x74)
chr evt: y (0x79)

but when I switch to Cyrillic layout then no one character is logged in console

0 Likes

Is nothing logged when you type? That indicates that another application is eating that input.

0 Likes

@bschaaf Eventually I changed “Keyboard input method system” from “XIM” to “IBus” as @mgr suggest and sublime started to get Cyrillic input.

0 Likes

I have the same issue with Chinese pinyin input. I’m using Linux inside a Chromebook.

0 Likes