Sublime Forum

Build 4180: Cannot Type in Full Screen Mode

Since upgrading to build 4180, I am unable to type when in Full Screen. I enter full screen by selecting the “View -> Enter Full Screen” from the menu bar (or using the ^⌘F shortcut) - NOT by using the green Mac button in the top left of the program. When I enter full screen mode in this manner, I’m no longer able to type. The same problem exists when entering Distraction Free mode.

0 Likes

What version of macOS are you using?

0 Likes

I’m using 13.6.7.

0 Likes

I have the same issue. I can type in full screen mode, but I can’t use my arrow keys. My system beeps at me when I try to use arrow keys.

If I exit full screen mode, the problem remains until I close the window and reopen it. If I have multiple windows open, it only affects the one that went full screen.

I use the Mac “fake full screen” option, not the native full screen mode.

macOS 14.6.1 (also tried on 14.6.0)

0 Likes

Also of note, I just tried using native full screen mode (using the green button) and the problem does not exist.

It must be related to the Mac use_simple_full_screen option.

0 Likes

Same here. I use simple full screen. After the update I can’t edit any files. MacOS beeps for any key press

0 Likes

Unlike @bean19, I’m unable to type anything - it’s not just the arrow keys. I also tested on macOS 12 and had the same problem.

0 Likes

Rolled back to the 4169. Will be waiting for the next build with the fix.

0 Likes

I did the same @noma4i. Do you know if there is a way to set Sublime not to prompt me to upgrade to 4180 specifically? But to wait for whatever release comes next?

0 Likes

Having the same problem using use_simple_full_screen:true. Guess I’ll also have to roll back until the next version hopefully fixes it.

0 Likes

Distraction free mode, keys don't work with 4180

I also have this issue, with use_simple_full_screen:true - on Mac.

Any idea when the next version is slated to release that fixes this?

0 Likes

I’m still having this issue, even after upgrading to Mac OS Sequoia. Everyone else still having the problem?

0 Likes

I figured out a workaround of sorts that allows me to actually use 4180. Once I get into full screen mode, I’m able to bring up the change project menu by using “ctrl-cmd-p”. While the arrow keys and letter/number keys still don’t work, I’m able to hit “enter”. This swaps to the first project - effectively staying within the same project that is already open. But once I do this, I’m able to fully type once again. Hope this helps someone.

0 Likes

We plan on removing the "use_simple_full_screen" option in the next build to fix this issue (and others); the reason for simple full screen to exist hasn’t applied to any supported version of macOS for some time. In the mean time the best workaround is to disable "use_simple_full_screen" yourself.

0 Likes

I’m confused as to why you would remove it - I think it still has a valid use case. I prefer to use use_simple_full_screen so that I get the full screen visuals without the need for Sublime to exist in a different window.

0 Likes

@bschaaf please don’t! Simple fullscreen is super handy.

0 Likes

We’ve since found a way to fix simple full screen and won’t be removing it, but the feature is considered deprecated and thus may be removed if it becomes a larger maintenance burden.

0 Likes

Thanks @bschaaf, I’m glad it’s being kept. Any idea when a dev build might be released with this fix?

0 Likes