Sublime Forum

Bug: screen display won't update

I’m experiencing a bug occasionally with the latest beta, 20091212, where sometimes after bringing up the window after being minimized, the window contents are blank. Not black, but showing whatever pixels were behind Sublime Text before restoring the window. I try moving the window around, but it never updates. Eventually I quit and re-launch, and it works fine again.

Win XP, NVidia graphics card

0 Likes

did you try running it with --opengl ?

sublimetext.com/docs/command-line

0 Likes

wasn’t using opengl. the thing is, it works for hours at a time, but after being minimized for a while, I come into the office the next day and the window is empty. the menu bar and window title bar are active, but nothing else.

i just tried opengl, so far i don’t like it. things flicker and aren’t as smooth. i.e. menus flicker when first opening, and sometimes leave behind redraw artifacts.

0 Likes

This is a common issue with Direct3D, unfortunately. It doesn’t happen with OpenGL, it’s a shame that it has other issues for you.

0 Likes

It would be nice if something could be done to resolve this issue with Direct3D, like being able to reset the renderer if it hangs. Or even a menu item to trigger the renderer to reset, since the menu still works when you are in this state. Please please!

0 Likes

agree. I run into this issue several times a day now. the current fix is not too bad: quit sublime and restart, the previous state of open files is restored. but shouldn’t sublime text be able to determine when Direct3D has failed and somehow fix itself?

0 Likes

happened again to me today. normally i don’t mind restarting sublime, but this time i was prompted to save files… it is difficult to make the decision to save changes to a file you can’t see. i really would like a way to “restart” only the Direct3D without losing whatever work i may have in progress (unsaved).

0 Likes

You can use “Exit and preserve session” instead of “exit”

0 Likes

thank you, had not noticed that before!

0 Likes