Sublime Forum

Bug: A file is getting opened automatically

I am facing an irritating issue. A file is opened automatically, even though the file and that folder does not exist. If I close that file then it opens again when another file is opened. I have tried deleting the setting, uninstalling and reinstalling but that particular file is then opened automatically.

0 Likes

This sounds like a package or plugin that is doing you favours you don’t want it to. I’m not aware offhand of any built in feature that would open a file just because you opened something else.

Uninstalling and reinstalling don’t have any effect on your settings or installed packages because they’re kept in your user directory; if they were in the install directory multiple people using the same computer would be forced to use the same settings .

You can follow the directions at https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html to revert Sublime to a pristine installed state if needed (Note: when it says ‘data directory’, it’s referring to the path itself, even though it says that’s where the data directory is contained).

Assuming you’re using PackageControl to install third party packages (and that you have any third party packages installed), you can copy the list of installed packages from the Package Control settings to the list of ignored packages in your personal settings to disable them all (except PackageControl itself).

Once you’ve done that, restart Sublime, verify that the problem is gone, and then slowly enable packages one at a time (you can use PackageControl for this) until you find the one that makes the behaviour come back.

Often just looking at the full list of packages you have installed in this case will spark your memory about the one that might be causing the issue.

If you don’t have any third party packages installed, or you do and this doesn’t help, the next most likely culprit would be a plugin file that you have installed in your User package. In that case you’d need to examine each one to see if it looks like it’s doing something on_load or some such.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply. But I had already tried removing the data folder but even after that same file is getting reopened.

0 Likes

what OS are you on? Linux?

0 Likes

I am on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04)

This issue seems similar to mine

I have tried the solutions given in that post

{
“hot_exit”: false,
“remember_open_files”: false
}

But even this did not help me.

0 Likes

0 Likes

I dont have any desktop shortcut. I had removed sublime from the launcher also when I uninstalled.

0 Likes