Sublime Forum

Brackethighlighter bash matching if fi doesn't work

Hello, it seems that since Sublime 3.1 something changed in the functionality of the brackethighlighter plugin in bash scripts. It used to highlight if … fi constructs, and do … done, case … esac. It seems to be still in the configuration, see below, but it doesn’t work. Any suggestion to get it working again?

//Bash
        {
            "name": "bash",
            "open": "(?:(?<!\\\\\\n)(?:;|^|&|\\|)\\s*)\\b(if|case|while|select|until|for)\\s",
            "close": "(?:(?<!\\\\\\n)(?:;|^)\\s*)\\b(fi|esac|done)(?=;|\\s|$)",
            "style": "default",
            "scope_exclude": ["string", "comment"],
            "plugin_library": "bh_modules.bashsupport",
            "language_filter": "whitelist",
            "language_list": ["Shell-Unix-Generic"],
            "enabled": true
        },
0 Likes

Works for me, but you really haven’t provide much information for me to guess what the issue is. I assume it most likely related to some local setup on your system.

0 Likes

It’s possible you are using the “Bourne Again Shell (bash)” syntax, while that configuration only applies to the “Shell-Unix-Generic” syntax. The Shell-Unix-Generic syntax is deprecated and currently hidden. I haven’t tested this, but you might get the desired functionality when you change the line

"language_list": ["Shell-Unix-Generic"],

to

"language_list": ["Shell-Unix-Generic", "Bourne Again Shell (bash)"],
1 Like

Looks like the language_list is the problem, I found I had one shell script still open which was having the Shell-Unix_Generic language activated (guess I had it open for a long time), and there the if…fi matching worked fine. Unfortunately, I cannot select that language anymore.
So, I tried the suggested change to the language_list, but that doesn’t seem to work. I am using the latest Sublime version build 3176, just freshly installed, have the problem on all my systems (Windows 10 btw, not Linux).

Peter

0 Likes

"language_list": ["Shell-Unix-Generic", "Bash"],

It’s done by file name, not by display name.

2 Likes

On a side note, I use ApplySyntax which is referencing the outdated Shell-Unix-Generic which is why I haven’t noticed this…So I need to update that too.

1 Like

thanks, that does the trick!

0 Likes