Sublime Forum

Bookmarks Panel ( To dock on the right side ) which would list anything you want from the project, the current file, such as: Bookmarks, Todo comments, function declarations, class declarations, constants, enumeration, hooks ( similar to Java broadcasts )

and more…

I’ve looked in the plugin management install area, the website, and on Google with no luck. Both Atom and Notepad++ has a plugin which allows you to use regular expressions in order to display anything you want from the current file… They’re organized differently - but the one in Atom appears to have everything I want: The search term, the text to display allowing %1, %2 and so on so matched text can be returned, Collapsible Categories, and an option to skip other search terms when the current one is found, ie don’t re-process that line.

ST3 is a refreshing text-editor… It is as simple or complex as you want it, it is efficient, it doesn’t lock the ui while searching, it automatically indexes your projects and much more - but it could be better…

The addition of a nav-bar / nav-bar-plus ( Atom ), functions list ( N++ ) dockable on the right side ( or any if implementing my panel suggestion ) addon for ST3 would make using it much better in my opinion…

In addition to the features in Atom which are: in the definitions file ( which can be per project by putting a .xxxx file inside the root project folder - or per language by putting the same file in the language definitions file ) being able to declare the regex pattern to search, the output which allows %1, 2, 3 etc… return values from matched ( ) areas, collapsible categories option for the panel, and the ability to skip the current line from other matching or prevent other regex patterns from running when that one is matched…

I’d like to see the implementation of being able to display project-wide data ( ) in the panel in other categories - also user definable… such as enumeration / variable / constant / s… the same way they are able to be seen in the search / drop-down system - but this way you’d have it at your fingertips instead of being required to use a hotkey to open / search…

I’d also like the ability to display frequently used snippets as a category ( ie Snippets > Frequently used, so nested category support - and then underneath frequent inside of Snippets you’d have the other categories… )

There are too many problems with Atom and Notepad++… With Notepad++ it has memory leaks, the find in files feature locks the entire program except the dialog which is opened meaning you can’t work while the search is happening, and memory leaks.

With Atom, it is overall just so slow. I haven’t gotten around to trying find in files yet, additionally you need to restart the program to try changes to plugins ( although there is a mod which lets you autorefresh them without restarting, but it doesn’t affect files the plugins themselves load such as the definitions file for the nav-bar or nav-bar-plus addon - which is the plugin I’d like to see in ST3 ), switching syntax highlighting themes is incredibly slow and the entire UI locks up while it is loaded, etc…

Basically, they both appear to not have separate threads for UI and background or workers… Memory leaks knock it out of the running automatically for N++, slow and inefficiency causes other issues ( especially with my lack of time - I can’t waste my time on things like that )…

0 Likes