Sublime Forum

Big ugly distracting yellow icon that replaces folded text

Hello all,

A couple of questions about the big ugly distracting yellow icon that replaces folded text when using code folding:

1. Does this big ugly distracting yellow icon have an accepted, as in Google-able, name? Trying to Google all manner of permutations of “sublime” “code folding” “icon” “marker” “folded” “region” “placeholder” yields nothing but a bunch of posts about the nice considerate subtle grey arrow icons that appear in the left hand margin for folded regions, as opposed to the big ugly distracting yellow icons that smear and infect my otherwise beautiful code when I am trying to get a middle- to higher-level view of said code. Which leads to my next question…

2. Is there any way to change the colour of this big ugly distracting yellow icon? So that it turns into somewhat more of a big but not-so-ugly and not-so-distracting NON-YELLOW icon that is far less obtrusive to the middle- to higher-level views that I regularly try and gain of my otherwise beautiful code. I see no reason why the first thing that my tortured retinas should have to pre-attentively process when they look at said otherwise beautiful code is the irrelevant pattern of folded regions and how they are distributed throughout my code.

Thanking you all…

1 Like

Seriously? Nothing?

So I’m the only one that see this…

Or are these big ugly distracting yellow icons just a figment of my imagination…?

0 Likes

This little thing: imgur.com/rwy3tde ?

0 Likes

Search for “Theme - Default.sublime-package” its a zip package, open the file named “fold.png”, and just edit it.

0 Likes

Thank the Lord…

@nemotrm: Yes that’s the chap. And I object to it being called “little”…

@tito: I could kiss you. Now next question… is there any way I can use a new icon without overwriting the existing one? Either with the same filename but placed in a “special” directory, or a setting where I can point to the new icon I’d like to use? Otherwise as a last resort I will just overwrite the icon after beating it with a sledgehammer. But I’d rather be… you know… elegant about it, if possible…

0 Likes

Yes, just create a folder in called Theme - Default in your Packages folder, and copy your fold.png variant there. It will override the bundled one in Theme - Default.sublime-package. Ideally, in the future, Jon will one day expose this so that other themes can override it more easily.

0 Likes

As a quick fix, I’ve made a less conspicuous fold icon. It is grey and semi-transparent, goes very well with dark Monokai, and probably with some other themes. I post it here for those who don’t have the time or the software to edit the file.

The file needs to be copied to \Packages\Theme - Default.sublime-package. Don’t forget to backup the old yellow fold icon by saving the original fold.png under an alternative name.

Here the updated fold.png: s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi … 9812764057

P.S. The external file sharing service is due to restrictions on attachments here (some sort of quota is in place).

Regards,
Maxim

0 Likes

Here’s another replacement with transparency.
Save this image:

Rename it fold.png, and move it to Packages > Theme - Default.

0 Likes

And here’s an example of how it looks using the Fold Comments plugin for Sublime:

0 Likes

Hi! Could you upload the icon again please?

0 Likes

Build 3127 introduced a new default theme, which included a new fold icon.

In build 3158, we added the ability to change the color of the fold icon via your color scheme. See the docs at http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/color_schemes.html, specifically the fold_marker in Global Settings and the general info about customizing a color scheme.

2 Likes

Can’t do it sublime 3.

0 Likes

I tried this in sublime 3. No success.

0 Likes

Did you try customizing your color scheme as @wbond mentioned above?

0 Likes

I’ll try fold_marker then… but I need an example of use.

0 Likes

If you can pls share how to use fold_marker .

Tried:
in Preferences.sublime-settings:

“fold_marker”: “#111
“fold_marker”: #111
“fold_marker”: “white”

0 Likes

Follow the links I posted. Color schemes are not customized by changing preferences. Here is the link again: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/color_schemes.html#customization.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks.
I’ll stick with tmTheme (since colorsublime uses it) but thanks.

0 Likes

I’m fairly sure you can change the fold marker in .tmTheme files to. Since tmTheme uses lowerCamelCase, I believe it would be foldMarker.

1 Like

I found you can use 2 files for the same scheme.
scheme.tmTheme
scheme.sublime-color-scheme

In scheme.sublime-color-scheme write:

{
    "globals":
    {
        "fold_marker": "white",
    },

}
1 Like