Sublime Forum

Better Handling of Network Drives (Disconnects)

I maybe %1-%5 of the user base that depend on Network Drives heavily for their workflow. i.e. Connected to my office’s network via VPN to a network drive and or I run my dedicated Linux machine for development on my Windows Machine. Of course I’m going to have one or the other disconnect/connect at random.

If you have Windows Explorer attempt to access these disconnected drives manually, it usually takes a good 30 seconds before Windows gives up. However in Sublime, it seems to instantly freeze the process completely, resulting in me having to restart it in Task Manager.

I’m not too invested in the Win32 API, but isn’t there some sort of timeout that can be set when a Network Drive is discovered in Sublime and have that folder/drive be on a timeout of at least 5-10 seconds if it’s not responding and log an error and continue like normal or better yet not freeze the process completely?

P.S I haven’t tested this issue on other OS’es like Linux Mint or OS X, but I would like to hear if anyone else is having this issue.

Info:
Sublime Text 3 Build 3126
Windows 10 Pro x64

0 Likes