Sublime Forum

Better git editor window?

I’m looking at improving the git editor flow for sublime text. I used the instruction on GitHub here: https://help.github.com/articles/associating-text-editors-with-git/.

The Window currently has an ugly sidebar which I would like to hide, and the width and height are not optimal (have to watch the status bar to make sure I’m using the correct line wrap length. Ideally I could specify this on the command line, but I wasn’t able to figure it out.

Anyone know how to make the window a certain size from the command line, or hide the side bar?

0 Likes

I’ve done the exact same thing a few days ago.

You might want check for a theme then.

You can use the ruler. Download [this package] so you get a coloration on commit messages, and so that you can use settings - syntax specific. In this file, just add:

"rulers": [50, 72],

Not possible.

Do the side bar shows up by itself? If you hide it, then I think it remembers it. There’s a trick that I posted though: https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/1407#issuecomment-256253712

Matt

0 Likes

You can access OS API with the ctypes Python module.

0 Likes

What is this? Is it an API that can resize the sublime text window? Can you be a bit more descriptive please?

0 Likes

Specifically, ctypes is an FFI (Foreign Function Interface), which allows you to call functions written in other languages. For example if you had a shared library that exposed some functionality for which there is no python binding (or for which there is but for whatever reason you don’t want to use it) you could dynamically load the library and call functions from it.

In this case you could conceivably get at the underlying Windows/OSX/Linux calls that operate on a specific window and use that to size it.

1 Like

Ok, thanks @OdatNurd for the explication. So I guess that @FichteFoll meant that there is a library that allows us to resize every window?

0 Likes

More or less. I was specifically referring to calling something like MoveWindow from plugin code.

0 Likes