Sublime Forum

Beginner on Mac OS

Hi there. I do not know if I am posting in the correct section, pardon me for my beginner-noobiness.

I am having some difficulties with Sublime Text on my Macbook pro.

In short:
I am trying to disable auto completion because I want to write the code myself, but I can’t seem to turn it off.

I have tried Preferences->Settings and then written “auto_complete”: false on the left hand side but I got a message stating that it did not save even though I could read ““auto_complete”: false”" being there, but the auto completion was still on.

Anyone that has some experience with this? I appreciate all help.

Warm regards.

0 Likes

I mean right hand side… I don’t know how to edit existing posts…

0 Likes

Have a look at the path of the settings file and make sure it’s writable.

Mine’s in: ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Default/Preferences.sublime-settings

0 Likes

What do you mean by writable? How do I do that to the folder?

0 Likes

It would be helpful to know what the actual message was; does it give you the same message every time you try to save?

It’s possible that perhaps the error message was about the file being improperly formatted (which would also cause an error dialog to pop up).

0 Likes

Methinks that they are trying to modify the Default settings file, which is read-only, instead of the User settings file, as they should.

0 Likes

This is what it looks like.

0 Likes

Okay!

So what I did was uninstalling and then reinstalling. And to my surprise. The settings where still the same as before “auto_complete”:false

Anyone that can explain why this setting was left? Did I miss traces of the former installation of Sublime? Because I could honestly find 0 trace.

Anyway. I reinstalled it and it appears that what I should’ve done in the first place was unabling auto_close_tags. It did the job and now I can finally close my own tags.

What’s puzzling me is how I can save index.html files without needing to move the folder from the root of the program, which was an issue before. I’d love understanding where that folder is and why it is possible to save a file now even though I couldn’t do it on the first install.

0 Likes

The path shown in the error dialog shows that you are trying to save the default preferences (the left hand pane). The short answer to your question is: Don’t do that; you only need to save the file on the right; the file on the left should be un-editable and thus needs no saving.

The file in question is a part of the Default package, which is not represented by loose files in the Packages folder; as such there is no Packages/Default folder, so your attempt to save the file fails and you see that message; the No such file or directory is referring to the Default folder.

Simplistically speaking, the settings that end up getting used are the settings on the left, except that any you specifically add to your own settings on the right take precedence, so you only need to modify your own settings (and even then, only when the default value is not what you want).

That’s done on purpose specifically so that you can upgrade/reinstall Sublime without messing with any of your settings. Among other things this means that removing and reinstalling Sublime is generally fairly unlikely to actually solve any problem that you might be having, unless the problem is that the actual application install got corrupted somehow.

If you select Sublime Text > Preferences > Browse Packages... from the main menu (on Windows/Linux this is just Preferences > Browse Packages...), a file browser will open showing you the contents of your Packages folder. If you examine the path in question, you’re going to see one of the following three things (depending on your OS):

• /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages if you’re on a MacOS machine
  • /home/yourusername/.config/sublime-text-3/Packages if you’re on a Linux machine
  • C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages if you’re on a Windows machine

The parent folder of this folder (i.e. the name above without the Packages part) is known as the Data Folder, and it’s the place where all of your own personalized versions of everything in Sublime are stored. In all three cases, the location in question is inside your own personal user folder.

This location is not touched when you uninstall the application, nor it is affected if you were to just completely delete Sublime Text 3.app and then put a new one in it’s place.

I’m not surprised that you didn’t spot the files there, because Apple goes out of their way to keep the Library folder hidden, since fiddling around inside of it can conceivable cause problems if you’re not careful. Similarly, on Linux systems files that start with a period (like .config) are also hidden by default, as is the AppData folder on Windows.

You can always find the folder in Sublime by using the Browse Packages... menu item, which generally puts you right at the one folder there you’re most likely to care about.

If you like, you can also open a regular Finder window, use ⌘+Shift+H to jump it to your home directory, then press ⌘+J or View > Show View Options and check the box labelled Show Library Folder.

0 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the kindness and the thorough explanation. It was truly helpful.

I knew from the beginning that I was not supposed to tamper with the default settings, that is why I wrote the “auto_complete”:false on the right hand side. But I guess that I somehow managed to save what was on the left hand side.

Anyway, everything is great now and I can finally learn.

Thanks a lot OdatNurd!

0 Likes