Sublime Forum

Backspace and space not working

Way to repeat the problem:

1. Open any xml file
  2. Press ctrl+F to search for a keyword
  3. After you are done press ESC 2 times
    See the cursor is changed and from now on space and backspace wont work until you restart it.
0 Likes

Some keys suddenly not working as normal

After continuous working i noticed that this happens only after pressing esc.

0 Likes

what build of ST are you using and on what operating system? have you tried with no third party plugins installed? https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

0 Likes

Thanks for the replay. I am using Version 3.0, Build 3143 i believe it is the latest,this is installed on windows 10. And i don’t have any plugins installed.

0 Likes

I’m not able to replicate this on build 3150 on Windows 7. You say the cursor changes, can you show a screenshot? What happens if you press Esc once instead of twice?

0 Likes

Here is a screenshot and the cursor is in line 20 and Column 36. If i press Insert on keyboard it will change back as it was but when pressing space its like i press right arrow and when pressing backspace like left arrow.

0 Likes

ah you’re using Vintage?

0 Likes

Whats Vintage? :slight_smile:

0 Likes

a built in ST plugin that is disabled by default that makes ST work more like some text editor called Vim, which is basically unusable for most people without massive training :wink:

0 Likes

Ah i found the setting, i guess this was added when the new build with the gui modification on the tabs was made. I see in my settings file that it was already added like this to not use Vintage. Actually the problem is not the cursor changing, because i can press Insert on my keyboard and get it back as it was. But even if i do that i wont be able to use space (instead of pushing text forward it jumps characters just like right arrow on keyboard does) and backspace (instead of deleting text backwards it jumps characters like the left arrow on keyboard does). And this will go on untill I restart Sublime. This is a problem which started after that major update when the tabs were made with pointy edges instead of curved.

0 Likes

you can delete the duplicate ignored_packages entry and add "Vintage" inside the square brackets for the entry you will keep

0 Likes

Yes that fixed it :D. Thank you so much

0 Likes