Sublime Forum

Automatically Open Sidebar When Opening Folder

In previous builds of Sublime Text 3, if you opened a folder in Sublime Text, the sidebar would automatically be shown with the folder tree. Version 3.0 (3143) no longer has this behaviour, and instead mirrors the opened/closed state of the current window. Is there a preference that can enable the old behaviour?

0 Likes

Check out the View > Side Bar menu for options related to showing and hiding. The sidebar will only display if there is something to show – either the Open Files or at least one folder.

0 Likes

The only options in that menu are “Show/Hide Side Bar” and “Show/Hide Open Files”. I can show the sidebar manually with that menu or with a keyboard shortcut, but previously it would automatically show if I was opening a folder.

0 Likes

If you select View > Show Side Bar and leave it alone, it will show when a folder is dragged in, and hide when there are no folders.

Nothing has changed in this area in a long time. If you are seeing different behavior, perhaps you have installed a package that is controlling the side bar?

0 Likes

Once I closed out all windows, including an auto-saved unnamed file created before the last update, and restarted Sublime Text, the normal behaviour resumed.

I’m not entirely sure what was happening, but it seems that the window with the unsaved file was overriding the show/hide state, even though it didn’t have a sidebar.

Thanks!

0 Likes

I have the same problem/question as the OP. But his solution doesn’t work for me.

To be honest, I wasn’t even aware about the old behavior the OP refereed to because I’m new to this program. But I was watching the tutorial video where they simply dragged the folder into ST and it automatically opened the side bar. In my case, it doesn’t happen, so I always have to go with Ctrl+K, Ctrl+B to open it. The only relevant difference between my setup and the one form the tutorial that I can think of is that they were using Mac and I’m on PC. Could that be the factor here?

Also, the program is in a clean state. No single package has been installed so far.

0 Likes