Sublime Forum

Authenticate on save

When I open for example my hosts file, in /etc/hosts, and enters some stuff, Sublime can’t save because I need to authenticate. Sublime should handle this.

1 Like

This would be a great feature. This is the ONLY thing I still use Textmate for, to save files that you need to ‘sudo’ to modify.

Use case:

$ subl /etc/hosts
edit file contents
cmd + s
prompt for password and have Sublime take care of the rest

1 Like

+1 to add this feature. I’d also like to jettison TextMate.

1 Like

+1 agreed this is a must have.

1 Like

Agreed, this would be a very welcome feature.

1 Like

At risk of becoming repetitive, this is also the only reason I’ve found so far for sticking with TextMate.

+3

Stuart

1 Like

I just registered to say in a loud and booming voice: **plus one **!

I need this all the time to edit /etc/hosts.

1 Like

Up vote sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/2 … n-to-save/ if you want support for this feature.

1 Like

feature added

Build 2147
Release Date: 15 December 2011

OSX: Prompting for elevated privileges when saving protected files

1 Like

Sublime can now, via authentication, save changes to existing superuser files. However, it cannot (1) create such files (if one tries to create a new file, in a privileged location, Sublime just cannot save it), (2) when Sublime can save the file, i.e. when the file exists already, it prompts for authentication (unless it - Sublime - is run as root) every time one saves.

Both 1 and 2 are a considerable inconvenience and should not be hard to fix.

On both 1 and 2, cf. this already extant feature request. Also, I think that I myself have already filed a request along the lines of 2, and a dev said Sublime would consider it, but I cannot now find that request.

1 Like