Sublime Forum

Assign more memory to sublime text

I copy pasted a list of 7000 numbers (each in its own line) into sublime text. I have a 16GB RAM macbook pro (2015 model).

Then I wanted to convert the 7000 lines into a comma separated list so I did

Command A -> Command Shift L -> Command Right arrow and pressed ,

Sublime hangs for a very very long time and needs to be killed via the process manager.

I frequently use sublime for things like these and I wonder if there is a setting somewhere which will allow me to grant sublime more resources

0 Likes

I think the problem is more that Sublime does not react overly well to having to render, e.g. 7,000 simultaneous edits all at once and less that it doesn’t have enough resources (or alternatively the resource you need more of is CPU power and apart from some laptop power savings mode, that’s unlikely to be something you can tune).

Things like really long lines, large numbers of simultaneous cursors or turning on “highlight matches” in the find box and finding something that appears very often in a large file (requiring a large number of highlights being shown) are all things that tend to bring Sublime to its knees.

For your specific problem (as described here) I would do something like Find > Replace..., do a regex search for $ and replace it with , to add text to the end of every line instead of trying to do that with simultaneous cursors.

0 Likes