Sublime Forum

Assembly syntax highlighting

It would be awesome if Assembly syntax highlighting could be added. If not, how might I add it?

0 Likes

Hi,

Does anyone have the syntax file for Assembly Language?
If not, any pointers on how to go about writing one for Sublime Text would be helpful too.

Thanks.

0 Likes

You need to create “tmLanguage” file.

manual.macromates.com/en/language_grammars

0 Likes

There’s syntax highlighting for assembly in Sublime Merge, but not Sublime Text. >:(

0 Likes

Sublime Merge sources 3rd party syntax definitions from ST. So if you have a syntax installed in ST, it will be available in SM as well (In case of portable installs, I believe one would need to drop the files directly though) so the statement that some syntax works in SM, but not in ST doesn’t make any sense.

0 Likes

I’m not making any claims, I’m stating a fact. I can get syntax highlighting for assembly with SM out-of-the-box, whereas I need an external plugin to get it with ST. I just found that annoying and had to point it out.

0 Likes

@Sainan what @UltraInstinct05 means is that SM looks at ST’s (Installed) Packages folder, and if it finds a suitable syntax for the file you’re viewing it’ll use that syntax from ST.

So if you have previously installed a third-party syntax for some Assembly language for ST, then SM will use that third-party syntax as well. Try uninstalling the Assembly package from ST and see if SM still highlights your assembly.

0 Likes

Ah, I see now that this is indeed the case. Quite clever since I didn’t even need to restart SM. I still want assembly support out-of-the-box. :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes