Sublime Forum

Arabic language

very good but why we can not use Arabic language in sublime ??

1 Like

RTL not support

At this time, Sublime does not support right-to-left text, and while it may be implemented in the future it is not currently planned. As I understand it, implementing RTL would require a lot of work, whereas relatively few users would benefit. (It must be acknowledged that to those users who care about RTL support it is very important.)

0 Likes

Even though there are already a couple of votes, you could add your’s at

IMHO: Compared to other features/issues RTL support is one of the most significant feature requests I’ve realized so far. It’s requested quite often in the forums and voted up in the issue more often than others. I tend to oppose the statement “relatively few users would benefit”. The most significant issue might be the underlying software design to need very heavy changes with maybe some huge challenges to keep compatibility with existing plugins etc. as you’d need to somehow handle all the text position <-> row,col arithmetic in a special way.

0 Likes

I’m not sure I understand why. Wouldn’t it work the same, only with columns counting from the right?

0 Likes

I am not text layout expert but how to handle mixed text files?

Consider a html source file with english tag names (LTR) and arabic text content (RTL). While tag names are entered from left to right, the editor needs to change to enter the arabic text from right to left. While region.begin() should obviously point to the left most character for LTR text it must point to the right most one for RTL text. Doing so in a mixed file is what might cause some challenges, I think.

0 Likes