Sublime Forum

API for git info

Now that git is integrated with ST3, for the active buffer, is there an API to get:

• if it is versioned?
  • if there are staged changes?
  • if there are unstaged changes?
  • the HEAD commit hash?
  • the HEAD branch name if not detached?
1 Like

Found nothing with diff in sublime.py and sublime_plugin.py. And nothing is mentioned in the doc page. So I guess no.

0 Likes

Is this Git versioning console in the pipeline, do you know ?
(Is there any voting on what ST should prioritize for new features or is it a case of It’s MY company and I’m going to do what I :baby_bottle: WANT to do . . . ?

0 Likes

Is this Git versioning console in the pipeline, do you know ?

The ST team hardly exposes what new features they are working on until something suddenly comes out.

Is there any voting on what ST should prioritize for new features or is it a case of It’s MY company and I’m going to do what I :baby_bottle: WANT to do . . . ?

You can ask your wanted features on the issue tracker or just on this forum. They may consider features that people want the most. However, it’s not necessary that it will be implemented. For example, the printing feature. Just my personal opinion.

1 Like

The ST team hardly exposes what new features they are working on until something suddenly comes out . . .

What do you mean by hardly ?
If these improvements are made FOR the users, why not tell the users that they’re on the way ?
Maybe we need a management opinion here.

0 Likes

For example, when do you first know ST4’s new features? My answer is, when it gets released. Usually, you don’t know what the team is doing. Wbond sometimes tells you something exciting is under development. But you don’t know what’s that exactly.

Iirc, this has been discussed/argued somewhere before on this forum but I can’t find it. By the way, we are off-topic now. I think you can create a dedicate thread for that.

1 Like

So Sublime Text is a thought dictatorship, is it ?
And anyone disagreeing with Mr William Bond :exploding_head: is just a lirc.
Boys oh boys.

0 Likes

I’m not sure how the conversation got here…

@jfcherng is simply giving historical background. You are not required to accept this as the correct or best way to do things.

Historically, Jon has never been very vocal. At some point, Jon hired a handful of new people, wbond being one of them. Wbond is one of the more vocal employees and shares what he can at times. I assume there are things that often are far enough along to share. Things that are maybe experimental are probably kept private as they might not pan out in the current cycle.

Yes, many people just accept this for what it is because we’ve been here a long time and just understand that this is how it’s always been. That isn’t to say a more public roadmap wouldn’t be appreciated. Nor is this saying there may not be better ways to approach this than the way things are currently handled.

You are free to not accept this, you are free to voice your opinions and chime in on previous threads where this discussion has taken place.

You can vote on the issue tracker for your favorite feature request with GitHub reactions. We’ve been told that those reactions do have influence to some degree.

6 Likes

I am an employee of Sublime HQ, although for five years before joining the company I was a happy customer and active community member. I tend to discuss things with the community a bit, and try to gather feedback and consolidate feedback into things I think fit within the current vision of the product and how we can accomplish them.

We have historically not published roadmaps for features. Jon is the primary author, visionary, owner and gatekeeper for Sublime Text and Merge. Ultimately he takes all sorts of feedback from community members, employees (myself included) and his own experience and ideas and decides what he thinks we should pursue.

Personally, I think that having a strong vision and leadership at the head of a product helps it to be focused. You don’t want too many cooks in the kitchen. That said, requests from users and community members definitely plays a significant role in what we decide to do.

Once we’ve decided on what we are planning to do, we usually don’t talk about it publicly until it is fairly far along. There have been plenty of things I’ve started only to find they would require extensive changes to the codebase. Such changes are expensive time-wise, but also often lead to bugs and can make future development more costly. Also, we generally treat performance as one of the things we can’t sacrifice on. If we want to accomplish X, but the only way to do that is making the UI slow, we are probably going to bail on that feature, or implement only part of it.

If you are keen to get an idea of the pulse of what is going on with Sublime Text or Sublime Merge, the Discord server tends to be where a lot of chatter goes on. Most (if not all) of the employees of Sublime HQ are on that server.

6 Likes

They’re all at it now. Even Sublime Text for Chrissakes.

We used to have just corporate speak.
Revenues and margins will continue to remain challenged while new process traverses technological teething and enters efficiency plateau.

Till McDonald speak came along.
All our crew are committed to providing interesting, nutritional and exciting meal offerings for Ronald and his millions of friends across the globe.

Then we got Dubya speak.
I’m not sure 80% of people get the death tax. I know this: 100% will get it if I’m the president.

After that Facebook speak busted out everywhere.
We are continually reupdating our algorithms so our members across the globe can get instantly share digital content in the spirit of openness, connectivity and interoperability. Facebook takes very seriously its mission to amenitize its platforms for members to exchange the exciting and precious moments of their lives.

Now we have SublimeText speak.
Historically, Jon has never been very vocal. At some point, Jon hired a handful of new people, wbond being one of them. Wbond is one of the more vocal employees and shares what he can at times.
Yes, many people just accept this for what it is because we’ve been here a long time and just understand that this is how it’s always been.

(Sounds like a Nation of Islam dogma from the 1960s on the special role of The Messenger, Elijah Muhammad)

And finally, Mistah Dubya Bond speak:
We have historically not published roadmaps for features. Jon is the primary author, visionary, owner and gatekeeper for Sublime Text and Merge. Ultimately he takes all sorts of feedback from community members, employees (myself included) and his own experience and ideas and decides what he thinks we should pursue.
Personally, I think that having a strong vision and leadership at the head of a product helps it to be focused. You don’t want too many cooks in the kitchen. That said, requests from users and community members definitely plays a significant role in what we decide to do.

Historical practice (and a few years of casual management hardly constitutes anything ‘historical’) doesn’t impose any orthodoxy over an inclination to change. Rather it is the people who choose to not make the effort to change that do so.

Plain and simple - if there’s a problem with a feature in demand then use the thousands of users’ brains to lick it.

0 Likes

If you want to be patronizing then I won’t bother in the future.

4 Likes