Sublime Forum

Anyone ever written / printed a letter with Sublime?

Ever since the good old days, I’ve run my business with a text editor and a word processor. I’m always copying / moving data back and forth. I was wondering whether anyone has ever written / printed a letter with just a text editor that has some basic fonts for the letterhead; automatic page numbering for subsequent pages in the headers section; and perhaps a nifty script font for the signature line. The only thing that comes to my mind is a webpage, but that involves a web browser to ultimately print. Any thoughts on how one might use Sublime Text to write a business letter (without using a web browser)?

COMPANY NAME [centered with a fancy font]
Contact Information [centered with a fancy font]

Date of Letter

Recipient
Contact Info of Recipient

Re: Writing a letter with Sublime Text 2.

Dear Sir / Madam:

This correspondence shall serve to memorialize our telephone conversation on . . . .

____________ [Page Break – 8.5" x 11" letter size]

Recipient
Date
Page X of Y

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

[Author of the Letter – in script font that resembles a signature.]

Name of Author

cc: Name of Client

0 Likes

Sublime Text does not currently support printing without using a package to convert it to HTML and print in a browser.

0 Likes

Thank you. I just added the simple print and the HTML print packages. I’ll keep my eyes on Sublime Text as future releases are issued – I’m sure printing is somewhere already on the wish list of the developer.

0 Likes

Just brainstorming : did you look into ( Multi ) Markdown? Should cover most of your basic needs.

There is a nice MacOs application called http://markedapp.com which I am using a lot. No further printer plugins needed. Integration is done via a build system - see http://support.markedapp.com/kb/how-to-tips-and-tricks/marked-bonus-pack-scripts-commands-and-bundles.

0 Likes

Excellent idea – I’ll check it out this weekend when I have some free time – thank you very much!

0 Likes

Though the learning curve is a bit steeper than Markdown, LaTeX would also be a perfectly viable way to do all your editing in plain text and still generate well-formatted, beautifully-typeset output. The PDF here is what got me started a horrifying ten years ago.

0 Likes

Thank you for the referrals to LaTeX and Markdown – I’m going to try out both of them.

0 Likes

After a couple hundred hours to get up to speed and debug everything, I have officially made the switch (from Microsoft Word / Word Perfect) to using LaTeX for all of my business documents. The only thing left is to create a plugin that builds, waits until the build completes, and then runs cleanup – all in one fell swoop.

DONE: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11492

0 Likes