Sublime Forum

Any thoughts on a PowerPC port?

Now that an ARM variant is in the works, has Sublime Team given any thought to adding a PowerPC variant with support for older MacOS such as Tiger or Leopard?

I know it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest this but I really love Sublime and I’d love to be able to use it even on systems I don’t use very often. I currently have a few older Macs I’ve been tinkering around with lately, an iBook G3 on Tiger, and an iBook G4 on Leopard.

I don’t need to always have the latest and greatest build, but it would be nice to have a PowerPC build released from time to time.

0 Likes

This is highly unlikely as there will be no further builds of Sublime Text 3, and Sublime Text 4 has a Minimum MacOS requirement that exceeds Tiger and Leopard due to it using Python 3.8 (which presumably does not support those older versions).

From the Changelog in build 4050:

OS Compatibility

• The following operating systems are no longer supported as a result of adding Python 3.8:
    * OS X 10.7
    * OS X 10.8
    * Windows XP
    * Windows Vista
0 Likes

PowerPC macs aren’t supported by Apple, Mozilla doesn’t support them either - so don’t connect it to the internet - python has dropped support, so even if we wanted to there’s simply nothing we can do. The Hardware is over 13 years old now and is much slower than a raspberry pi 4.

2 Likes