Sublime Forum

Allow option to "Hot Exit" on close for macs

Currently, if you press the red x button on the window, it will close all files and not hot exit from the application.
The only way to get hot exit to work is to press ctrl-q or quit from the menu/dock each time, which can get a bit frustrating, especially if you forget to.

Please add a setting that can allow mac users to enable hot exit-like behavior on pressing the red x on the window.

0 Likes

When you press the x you aren’t exiting the application, though…

0 Likes

I would like to have this request reconsidered. I am a Windows user and am constantly clicking on the red ‘X’ to close the app. In windows, this does a Hot Exit. Could you add an option to have the same behavior on the Mac? Although it may not be standard Mac behavior, it would still be quite usable.

Best regards,

Metro.

0 Likes

When would the window come back? After you quit Sublime and reopen?

0 Likes

I will start by saying that I have not fully internalized the MAC UI. However, It seems like when you click on the red “x” in many applications, the active document is closed in the application but the app stays in the dock. Sublime also does this behavior. However, with the default behavior, Sublime wants to close the active documents before doing so. What I would like is for Sublime to behave as though you did a cmd-Quit when you click on the red “x”. if You have “stay in Dock” set (which I do), I can click on the Icon and be right back where I was. If not, I would use the app launcher to restart it.

I particularly like sublime on the PC because I can be working with lots of temp files (scribe sheets) without needing to name them. When I am done with a file, I close the specific tab. It is convenient to have sublime retain a working set of unnamed files from one session to the next.

Hope this helps explain how I am using sublime.

Best regards,

Metro.

0 Likes

I see. My question was really this: I frequently use Sublime with multiple windows open at once, and I don’t know what would happen if you closed one window and not the others. I wonder what Windows does in this case?

0 Likes