Sublime Forum

After recent update I see LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED

I’m also really disappointed in this upgrade path. I bought Sublime Text in 2012, gladly upgraded to 3.0 for $30 in May 2018, and now would have to pay almost full price because my licence is 3 years and 3 weeks old.

3 Likes

This is forum for discussion. If you have a real issue, report it on github. Don’t come here to complain about non-issues.

1 Like

This is an extremely user hostile choice, I bought a LIFETIME ST3 license - thats the way it was marketed when I bought it. By forcing a ST4 update (without warning) you have violated the terms of the license.

2 Likes

f you purchased Sublime Text 3 license years ago then by all means you are covered by those old terms. You basically have access to a perpetual license for that version. But Sublime Text 4 or now simply called Sublime Text has new terms now. Now instead of having a perpetual license for that specific version, you are paying for 3 years of support.

solution A: pay for the new version or keep using it unlicensed.
solution B: downgrade to ST3 and keep using it happily with your perpetual license for that version.

1 Like

Re-downloading ST3 results in an automatic FORCED upgrade back to ST4.

1 Like

I suggest you read this. It will solve your problem.

0 Likes

Great! That would of been helpful BEFORE being forced to upgrade to ST4.

Where exactly is that FAQ link located on the official ST3 documentation? https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/index.html

It appears this is a major issue so perhaps a call to action with a notice would be helpful instead of making people complain in support to find the link.

2 Likes

Perhaps a link that says “keep using ST3” on the buy a license page ~ or perhaps not force the upgrade for lifetime license holders. That would be helpful.

0 Likes

The duality of man. First they complain about Sublime Text not having updates. After an update finally appears, they complain about it.

6 Likes

I was also surprised by this but am planning on moving forward with ST4. I am a long time user, and purchased licenses in 2012 and 2017. I definitely don’t mind paying for my software, particularly for a reliable tool that I use daily.

However, I think a lot of this discontentment could be solved by revising your pricing model. In my opinion, $70/80 bucks for an upgrade is a bit high considering the current landscape out there. I’ve always appreciated the quality of ST and have been a happy user for almost 10 years, but another $80 on top of what I have already paid is a bit too much for me.

2 Likes

Please keep in mind that it might not be the same users. And it’s normal for different users to have conflicting requirements, that’s what makes development fun.

0 Likes

I too bought a license specifically in order to pay developers for their work, and I would have been happy to pay a reasonable amount to upgrade. However, the way that this upgrade looked like a normal bugfix meant that it was not transparent that I was upgrading to version 4 and that there would be a cost, which I am not happy about. I am sure that the developers know their terms and conditions inside out but they are not my favourite bedtime reading and I should have been advised that a version upgrade and cost would be involved. I have rolled back to version 3 and added "update_check": false to my preferences. I will evaluate whether I want to upgrade to version 4 and pay the upgrade fee in my own time, but this sort of high handed behaviour undermines trust.

1 Like

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing this feedback. From our end, this was a genuine oversight as we got a bit to excited to share Sublime Text 4 with the community.

We still want you to enjoy Sublime Text 4, and as such we don’t put any restrictions on Sublime Text 4 even if your license is lapsed - there’s just a small “Upgrade Required” title which can be ignored if you’re still evaluating.

We appreciate this may have interrupted your workflow, and will be working to improve the update dialog in the meantime to provide more information and improve clarity.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback!

2 Likes

Just logged in here because I was in the middle of my coding and Sublime offered an update, I updated and bam! ST4!

Sublime has been my partner since 2013, and I do not mind paying 80 bucks (ya ya with 10 bucks discount) and continue doing what I was doing…

but…

It broke the rhythm of coding. I was in the middle of writing a piece of software and was heavily distracted when I saw an upgrade to the newer version.

I still went ahead and gave it a try…

Most of the things in ST3 no longer works on ST4 or are plain sluggish.

Example, if I copied line 4 and line 7 on file X (using multiline) and selected line 1 and line 5 and pasted, it will only paste line 4 on line 1 and 5.
Ctrl P no longer works as smooth as it did in ST3.

I am on a corporate workstation - lenovo thinkcenter, i5 6th gen, 8 gig ram and ssd, on Ubuntu. Sure, the homepage says they support GPU now but I do not have a GPU - maybe the sluggish behaviour due to that?

Now it is just a heart break. I will be spending my weekend assessing other text editors instead of spending time with my wife.

This upgrade was totally uncalled for.

1 Like

The title is not that small, it is in capital letters [LICENSE UPGRADE REQUIRED] - it is well known that using all caps like this is bad form because it looks like YOU ARE SHOUTING. I don’t like having someone shouting at me like this while I am trying to work, and the message makes me feel uncomfortable, like I’m some kind of cheapskate.

3 Likes

Hi @cakenkeyboard - sorry to hear the update interrupted your workflow. We’re working to improve the update dialog to ensure no more unexpected updates occur on your end.

For the moment, I’ll do my best to resolve any issues you’re seeing.

Regarding the copy-paste, this behavior should still be working.
When you have a spare moment, would you mind submitting an issue report to https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/new/choose and we’ll investigate this as soon as we can.

Regarding the sluggishness, could you try adding
"hardware_acceleration": "opengl", to your settings in Sublime Text and see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
- Dylan

1 Like

Ok. Let me see if it works.

0 Likes

Note that you’ll need to restart Sublime Text for the hardware acceleration to take effect. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, we’ll look into this further.

0 Likes

It broke.

Please find the screenshot below. It shows this dialog and closes.

“Failed to initialize OpenGL rendering”

How can I open it?

0 Likes

Please do.
I REALLY want Sublime to work.

0 Likes