Sublime Forum

Advanced: other color or hide html %20 in ST user interface

We need Sublime text to better distinguish HTML language from site visitor display text in the default SublimeText application interface.

Here’s the code:
source src="/files/aud/01%20Cotton20Blossom.m4a" type=“audio/m4a”
targets file 01 Cottton Blossom.m4a

Here’s the painful appearance:

html string %20 ‘disappears’ and obfuscates code view of html document text displayed on HTML page

Here’s the requirement:
a way to quiet visible html %20 string
This would require editing Seth theme?
Or, ST dev teams re-programming ST interface to look more professional
by better distinguishing HTML language from user text in the default SublimeText application interface!

Needless to say, the ST Team core programmers have more options.
They can even provide a setting that switches off the need to even use %20
(maybe exists already, or is that only DW?)
Or, they can color %20 the same color as all other html (dodgerblue in the above screenshot). Instead of STUPIDLY FOULING DISPLAY TEXT CONTENT.

Here’s the problem:
Don’t know what to do with any themes, to color visible html %20 string.
Does anyone know how?

jwortmann manages to turn %20 bright white (using extensive editing of no fewer than 3 !!! ST configuration files see below: this targets the problem, but unfortunately makes %20 even more of an eye-sore :frowning: .

1 Like

HTML Theme Color for %20

Rename the file :slightly_smiling_face:
From 01 Cotton Blossom.m4a to Blossom.m4a

Than just update the arc to be src="/files/aud/Blossom.m4a"

They should quiet the %20

1 Like

But why would you want to quiet the %20?

0 Likes

%20 is Royal PIA, anyway.
Re Predragnikolic [post:2, topic:51447]:
" They should quiet the %20 "

DW used to.

I’m using theme edits, a feature that makes Sublime Text fantastic. E.g.,
<key>invisibles</key> <!-- White space characters, ignored unless selected, e.g., empty_space_character “·” -->
<string>steelblue</string> <!-- preference: “draw_white_space” = “selection” | sets Ruler color -->

%20 would be one of those key-string things. But, in the sublime.tmTheme documentation, can’t find a way to key-string the %20, in the above noted, syntax used.

:frowning: I refuse to rename someone else’s song. Defeats the entire purpose.
SHARE THE LOVE !!

0 Likes

Why not? Everyone take a deep breath. Now, relax. Breathe out and sigh peacefully. Turn on CHANGE!

NET 5, we command you… You will allow songs with natural white space. In fact, you will fully support white space, anywhere we code it. For example … space … between … words, without them darn dotty things. NOW. Because, Sublime Text says so, eloquently.

(Right, you Sublime Developer guys?) It’s a structural thing. Everything is possible.

So much better, say 75% opacity? Until W3 gets real about white space.
Or use covidatiously coffinable _cotton_ plugs. Ugh: &lowbar; coded drudge.

0 Likes

You are right. You completely changed my opinion. A better question is why would someone not want to quiet white-space?
How did you quiet it in your screenshot? Have you used some regex or photo editing tool?
Also the image above looks interesting(bellow “Everything is possible”). What is it?

0 Likes

Picture editing a-la Preview. If computers were smart learners, they would see what we are doing, Send eency-wheency little shadow bots. Buzz and hover round our workstations. Cover everything up for us. Just the way we like it. Primitive times, we were born into.

0 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, but you still haven’t answered the question I asked :slight_smile:
Would you please answer it:

Also the image above looks interesting(bellow “Everything is possible”). What is it?

0 Likes

It is space. Watching. Beam me up, Scotty!

0 Likes

Flux capacitor. Thanks for sharing the link. Although I am not sure what those two images represent.

0 Likes

Nup. Load deviation demonstrating angular structural compensation. You just missed, eh. Simple really - consider every Sublime production as what Mozilla frenetically terms “covered code”.

1.3. “Covered Code” means the Original Code or Modifications or the
combination of the Original Code and Modifications, in each case
including portions thereof.

In other words, we have requested herein that W3 apply memory structure to enable literal display of text spacing. Now, DW would as we recall, work with strings of %20. To force, with ancient HTML code strings, each occupying three (3) spaces, each character triplet creating the display, in the browser of one (1) space. That singular space representing one gentle tap of the tab bar, a keyboard space out! DW translating the User space input to %20. No such lazy spacing in Sublime. HTML5 is as primitive as HTML 0.73, as far as %20 is concerned.

The time is long, long past, when W3 should have enabled literal spacing. Without any need for costly, time-consuming %20 muscling about in sludge. Word processors have respected white space, from the get-go. Something devious spoils now, rotting in the bowels of W3, where white space is concerning us now. Something irks honest, humble, straight forward human communication.

2 Likes

I am not sure, but I think I am follow you. I just need some more info.
angular structural compensation sound interesting. I will have to do a deeper research to see on how it relates to the current topic of quieting white-space, so I could understand you even better.

Just to confirm, by W3, you mean W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)?
Also you said we have requested herein that W3 apply memory structure. Who is we?
HTML 0.73 is not really a version, but I am pretty sure you wanted to just pinpoint that HTML5 doesn’t handle white-space well as older versions of HTML?

0 Likes

1. Open the Packages folder (Preferences > Browse Packages…) and create a new folder named HTML
  2. Download the HTML syntax from GitHub or use View Package File: HTML/HTML.sublime-syntax from the command palette and paste that file into the created HTML folder
  3. Under the tag-generic-attribute-value add
- match: '%20'
  scope: constant.character.entity.encoded.html

as shown in the screenshot below:
syntax

Edit: Or better search for and put it into the entities: context, so you have to add it only once.

1. Use View Package File from the command palette to open your color scheme file.
  2. Search for "scope": "string" and notice what is set for the corresponding "foreground" value, e.g. "var(yellow)" for Monokai. It can also be a Hex-value for example. If your scheme uses the old .tmTheme format, look for something like
<key>scope</key>
<string>string</string>
<key>settings</key>
<dict>
    <key>foreground</key>
    <string>#FFD500</string>
</dict>
  1. Navigate to the Packages/User folder and create a file with the same name as your color scheme, e.g. Monokai.sublime-color-scheme or even better Brackets Dark.sublime-color-scheme (see here). The file extension must always be .sublime-color-scheme.
  2. In that file, paste
{
    "rules": [
        {
            "scope": "meta.attribute-with-value string constant.character.entity.encoded",
            "foreground": "color(var(yellow) alpha(0.25))"
        }
    ]
}

(replace var(yellow) with the color name or Hex-value you noticed before).

1. From now on you won’t get any more updates for the HTML syntax in future ST releases. Maybe use the OverrideAudit package to be noticed when that happens.
  2. Enjoy:
4 Likes

Load deviation demonstrating angular structural compensation.

Pretty sure I would have found the answer for that in the Long House . But I did not… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

0 Likes

Your idea changes %20 from yellow to white !! YIKES !! LOUDER.
Unexpected. Something wrong. Wrong scope? Wrong key?
What your instructions do: change %20 string to bright white.
I tried using default theme color and custom color, both result identical fails. I tried using color names and Hex names for color: no good, same bright white.

HTML.sublime-syntax
tag-generic-attribute-value:
- match: ‘"’
scope: punctuation.definition.string.begin.html
set:
- meta_scope: string.quoted.double.html
- match: ‘%20’
- match: ‘"’
scope: punctuation.definition.string.end.html
pop: true
- include: entities
- match: “’”
scope: punctuation.definition.string.begin.html
set:
- meta_scope: string.quoted.single.html
- match: ‘%20’
- match: “’”
scope: punctuation.definition.string.end.html
- include: entities
- match: ‘{{unquoted_attribute_start}}’
set:
- meta_scope: string.unquoted.html
- match: ‘{{unquoted_attribute_break}}’
- match: ‘["’’`<]’
scope: invalid.illegal.attribute-value.html
- include: else-pop

seth.tmTheme
<dict>
<key>name</key>
<string>String</string>
<key>scope</key>
<string>string</string>
<key>settings</key>
<dict>
<key>foreground</key>
<string>#4FB4D8</string>
</dict>
</dict>

Seth.sublime-color-scheme
{
“rules”: [
{
“scope”: “meta.attribute-with-value string constant.character.entity.encoded”,
“foreground”: “color(var(#4FB4D8) alpha(0.25))”
}
]
}

Mote point: #4FB4DB25 is equally ineffective. Query if ST is ignoring all of the above. Yellow-to-white shows promise, but does not finish this quieting %20 string customization in the user interface.

Ignore my summary of jwortmann suggestion, does not work as expected.

jwortmann poster should develop those posted findings with the
Sublime Text development team.

0 Likes

Sir RiverLeaf.
You cannot have something like this I believe, color(var(#4FB4D8) alpha(0.25)), the var takes in a variable defined in your variables section of the color scheme. So you can do something like the following in your current User version of the color scheme.

variables: {
    "my_color": "#4FB4D8"
}

and then use color(var(my_color) alpha(0.25))
For more info, you can look here :- https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/color_schemes.html#variables

1 Like

Yes, or you can use the Hex color directly (no “var” then):
"foreground": "color(#4FB4D8 alpha(0.25))"

1 Like

Note !! What happens is no #4FB4D8, the HTML url %20 string is by default indistinguishable in default and in custom theme color for url strings. Maybe Seth theme customization is the issue? No. Same issue there in default Monokai.

Hacking nonsense suggested above only fuscks up a beautifully engineered product with the noted HTML url string defect. Hacking around with variables (above in this thread) is inappropriate.

jwortman suggests using what is already there. UltraInstinct05 suggests using W3 standard CSS color variables technology already in place.
This MAC says ‘your all nuts,’ and Sublime Text 3211 has a customization bug that none in this forum seem able to grasp.

BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG

Therefore, the lesser gods who created Sublime Text should consider a default adjustment of HTML code appearance, to suitably distinguish and hopefully quiet-down %20 strings in HTML code on all devices.

No more ineffective settings, please!
FIX WHAT’S BROKE

0 Likes

Do we need a moral argument about suitability of %20 string displaying a single space in text? No. That’s HTML language, now and forever. We need Sublime text to better distinguish HTML language from user text in the default SublimeText application interface.

And by the way:

1. This forum editor is crap lately. Scrolling to bottom opens a cPanel login! That is not expected.
  2. Further, on every Reply, the message being replied to is obscured by the left-border to right-border Reply pane.
  3. Emails to support@sublimetext.com after years of good responses, stopped responding.
  4. This is fast becoming a junk forum.

This all begs the question, is this forum a dead project?
Is SublimeText going the way of the Dodo Bird?
All of that would be a huge shame, if it were to be so.

Again, the bright side. LOVE the way in this forum we can return to edit our old posts in this thread. Critical to scientific accountability, maintenance of factual suitability. Though I did initiate this thread… is it that this forum’s back editing only works for thread initiators? Or is back editing for all posters?

0 Likes

Have you tried the above suggestions to see if they work ?

0 Likes